Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2009, 08:28 AM

Collars/harness at agility training...

I am new to this!
My agility club let people train on a long line and harness is they need to, but most people don't...infact noone has a harness on their dog. I would be anxious about having a harness on a dog at agility, incase it caught on the equipment? Do people use harnesses? I'm not against it...just a friend watched our session this week and noticed the dogs were being pulled on their flat collars a lot (which they were to an extent...excited,keen dogs and all that...)
What do the 'agility' people think....and are harnesses used at all?
Thornesstaf
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-12-2009, 09:55 AM
I used to use a harness on Tia but found it did get in her way so I just leave a flat collar on her now. Not many people at my club use harnesses anymore. I suppose it depends on the dog and what you prefer.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2009, 10:42 AM
I've never used anything---all off lead.

rune
Starhope
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-12-2009, 10:47 AM
I have been doing agility for quite a few years now and have never seen a dog being trained in a harness. Flat collars yes, as it means for the new dogs that the owner has something (that will not choke the dog) that they can hold the dog by to help it over certain obstacles. Especially the likes of the seesaw that tips, where some dogs jump off sideways as it is tipping.

You are also allowed to have a flat collar on your dog now when you are competing (as long as there are no tags dangling from it). No harness allowed in comp due to the fact that the dog could get caught up.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by Starhope View Post
I have been doing agility for quite a few years now and have never seen a dog being trained in a harness. Flat collars yes, as it means for the new dogs that the owner has something (that will not choke the dog) that they can hold the dog by to help it over certain obstacles. Especially the likes of the seesaw that tips, where some dogs jump off sideways as it is tipping.

You are also allowed to have a flat collar on your dog now when you are competing (as long as there are no tags dangling from it). No harness allowed in comp due to the fact that the dog could get caught up.
Thats what I thought was the reason. Thankyou xxx
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Yup our club its flat collar only - and it is useful for holding on to to steady on seesaw and stuff
But there is no tugging on the lead - no leads
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2009, 10:29 AM
We've been doing agility for about 4/5 months now and use a harness (we've the only ones to but our trainer doesn't mind at all). Maggie gets very distracted with rabbit poo and all those sorts of smells so I feel it's kinder on her and easier for me for her to be on a harness.

ETA: She's never caught herself of anything, not sure how she could, but then I think it depends what sort of harness you use.
Starhope
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-12-2009, 10:14 PM
You should see how crazy some dogs jump when competing and how close to the wing stands some dogs get for harnesses which may be a bit loose to get caught on. Its just a super safety measure. Never used one in training, but don't really see a problem with it in the early stages when the dog is much more controlled and often guided by the handler