register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Competitive obedience natural or unatural?
Competitive obedience is natural 5 71.43%
Competitive obedience is unatural 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2005, 11:02 PM
you will probably be getting the impression now that he is a very disobedient, cheeky dog and that I am a hopeless sucker
I know that feeling so well
one big staffy smile and we give in
iwlass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2005, 07:14 AM
I've not voted, as I don't beleive either answer is strictly accurate

Competitive obedience is, IMO, the same as agility or ringcraft; a specific skill that a dog is taught, which keeps pooch mentally and physically exercised.

The level of obedience seen competitively is far higher than is necessary to enjoy a much loved family pet; just as being able to run the seasaw, or stand in showpose is.

In the truest sense of the word, most of the expecations we have of our dogs are unatural - lead walking, waiting for food, living a solitary lifestyle; are all unatural when compared with the natural instincts of the dogs closest wild ancestors.
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-03-2005, 06:53 PM
I think this may be relivant , I have seen many Lurchers over the years, and those that have been trained to a high level, never seem to work as well as those that are left to their own devices, with just basic obedience. Therefore I voted unatural.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2005, 08:59 PM
I loved Speedy the Cairn Terrier!! The slowest obedience dog ever!!! Just shows you can't make a dog do something if it doesn't want to!
Not sure how to answer the question to be honest! Don't think there's anything wrong with it cos of the above example, it keeps their minds active and lets face it with a collie you need that sort of exercise. :P
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2