Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2007, 04:08 PM

Dog Narcolepsy

My partner was browsing YouTube last night and came across this video.

It is heartbreaking, the poor dog is so beautiful and cute, and he desprately trys to live a normal life but despite his efforts he cannot.
His narcolepsy apparently is triggered by excitement, so he has to keep calm to stay awake, which is a BIG dilemma as dogs are so excitable, the owners even have to stroak and pet him whilst he eats, otherwise he falls asleep in his bowl, bless his little heart.

I was really upset by it, I know 2 people with Narcolepsy and I never imagined that it could happen to a dog.

The way the video said that vets are trying to treat this condition is wth Anti Depressents made for humans...

Is it me or does that seem terribly wrong?

Link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEvtZuFQemg
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2007, 04:37 PM
I believe that one company has found the gene for narcolepsy in a couple of breeds so hopefully reputable breeders will start using this test and breed it out.
Becky
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-02-2007, 05:29 PM
That is sad,but i dont see it as wrong cause he's being treated with human anti-depressents.I would do everything in my power to give my dog a normal life should he ever become ill and most veterinary drugs are derived from human medication anyway.
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Poor little thing, i do hope they find something that helps him live a normal doggy life
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2007, 05:40 PM
If they think that'll help then good luck to them, if it were my dog I'd do whatever they thought might help to allow my dog to lead a normal life.

That's so sad, I suffer from fatigue (thought to be narcolepsy) and it's horrible but at least I understand it.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2007, 06:47 PM
I have seen a Dobermann with narcolepsy and I think its now one of the breeds they have identified the gene for.
dawn.
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2007, 11:14 PM

When I say that treating Narcolepsy with Anti Depressents made for humans as 'terribly wrong' I didnt mean it in the way I termed it.

Of course, as you guys said, if my Jess had Narcolepsy and this was a course of action that could help, I would go for it.

The only way I can explain what I mean is; the useage of Anti-D's to treat Narcolepsy in a animal, let alone a human, seems very strange indeed, thats all.
I wouldnt particualy class Anti D's as a stimulant (and I have been on practically every different one with over ten years of treatment for Bi-Polar) and many cause drowsyness so them being used to keep a dog awake seems strange, thats what I meant by wrong.
pxxuk
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-02-2007, 07:33 AM
I think antidepressants are used for a number of things, not just depression - its all to do with the doseage. I was prescribed them for pain when I was quite poorly a few years ago and in and out of hospital. I didnt want morphine cos that is just wierd stuff so they gave me prescription antidepressants which were for my pain... didnt make sense to me either!!
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Sounds like this could be an anxiety-related disorder (excitement and anxiety aren't so very different!) and sdome antidepressants can certainly be used to treat anxiety in humans.

I'd never heard of this in dogs. Poor little thing
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Anything that'll help this poor dog has got to be a good thing. Poor little mite