View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2006, 08:23 PM

friend's young dog pregant by litter-mate:time frame for terminating by injection?

heres the thing, a friend of mine has a brother and sister jrtxdachsunds. Anyway, she wanted to get the female spayed before xmas, they are both 6 months old i think, anyway the vet said no as he said he didnt think she was mature enough yet. Anyway, the girl came into season on xmas day and apparently as much as they have 'tried' to keep them seperated they have tied a few times!!!, shes on day 10 now, so wether or not shes pregnant i dont know, but she says shes not bled at all today and only 'spotted' over the weekend.
anyway, i think she said her vet is willing to spay her at this point now, but no other vet would.

I told her there is no way she can have those puppies and needs to do something asap. Can anyone tell me if its too late for her girl to have the injection? or if theres a solution to this problem that i can tell her of
Kerrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2006, 08:47 PM
i think the injection needs to be given before 3 day but im not 100% sure
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2006, 08:50 PM
your friend needs to take the dog back to the vet and she needs to explain that she cant let her bitch go through with pregnancy a vet can perform either the injection or can terminate and spey the bitch at the same time but she does need to speak to the vet again
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-01-2006, 10:13 PM
if they tied then the chances are she is pregnant and the lack of blood could mean she is but she could be just going into the time when she can catch.
it depends on the bitch each 1 is different but i have found holly bleeds upto day 12 which is her period of coming into season,from day 11 the blood slows down and stops this is the time she could get pregnant.
maybe the tie's took place in pro estrus if it was before day 10 which is the average as far as i know for most female.
i would ask a vet what the real chances are of her being pregnant as to when the tie's took place in her cycle and also about the injection.
i have been told the injection can mess a bitches cycle up for months before it returns to a normal pattern.
if she was getting her spayed then some vets with as bml said spay and abort a pregnancy at the same time.its not wise to have an inbred litter or her to have them so young.
i would personnally seek a vets advice as i don't think you can really tell untill 4 weeks gone which is too late for the spaying as she is approx 1/2 way through the pregnancy.
keep us informed jen.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2006, 10:51 PM
there is an injection that can be given quite a way into pregnancy, I would insist on seeing the vet and getting her spayed ASAP, either that or having a litter could possibly kill her at 6 months of age.

You also have to remember, a dogs sperm can live for up to 5 days inside the bitch.....so the chances of her being pregnant I would think is quite possible depending on when the last tie was.

Poor pup