Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cfaith
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2014, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by lovemybull View Post
I answered your other post before I read this one. I dunno, as I said Virginia gets darn cold. I do think the idea of sleeping out there with him is a very good one! Then the only challenge is keeping the garage warm enough for both of you. Good luck
Sorry, I was unsure of where to post to, so I double posted, but didn't have much info on the other post. He'll be in doggy daycare during the day and then kennel or garage at night, depending on weather. And I'm serious about a love seat and tv in the garage so I can hang out in there with him. One of my many concerns was him not having snuggle time or human contact like he's been used to. Thank you for your response!
cfaith
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2014, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by Jakesmummy View Post
Why would u want dog outside .
I don't...sorry, I posted a more detailed post somewhere else, I was unsure of where to post on here. He would be in doggy day care during the day then outside kennel or garage at night, depending on weather. the garage will have a love seat and tv so I can hang out with him there. Its a very complex, and temporary living situation...and a relationship on the line. Thank you for your response.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2014, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by cfaith View Post
Ummm, yeah, lol I wasn't joking. I for real will find a used love seat on craigslist or something and put it in there with a tv. He can use it as a bed when I'm not in there with him. Thank you for your response and for not judging me. This is a really hard decision and I'm just trying to keep everything together.
People on here have been great at giving me advice,you have come to the right place
Judge you?....no way All I see is a very loving owner and one lucky dog Good luck,looking forward to hearing how you get on xx
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-11-2014, 07:21 PM
Does the garage have a door directly into the house ?
As he is a house dog I would more look into turning part of the garage if not all into his space and instead of shutting the door on him put a stair gate there, he would still feel like he was inside then, just confined to an area
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-11-2014, 07:23 PM
All 4 of my very large girlies live in purpose built ouside kennels and they do very nicely out there, as anyone who has met them will testify. The floors are double floors with insulation in between, there is rubber stable matting down and then there is shavings on top of that, also an insulated sleeping compartment, so there are lots of different places for them to sleep in. Two of mine have very heavy thick coats, all of them have a dense undercoat, I sometimes find them outside in very cold weather fast asleep, when really you would expect them to be inside, even found them under snow once!!! I do use chicken heat lamps if the temperature is going to drop well below zero at night for a number of consecutive days. As long as you keep them out of damp and draughts, ensure they are fed to reflect the fact they are outside and need additional calories in the winter, you are not doing anything wrong
cfaith
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2014, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by marley123 View Post
Does the garage have a door directly into the house ?
As he is a house dog I would more look into turning part of the garage if not all into his space and instead of shutting the door on him put a stair gate there, he would still feel like he was inside then, just confined to an area
I never even thought about a stair gate in the doorway leading into the house!!! Thank you!! The garage is rather big, so he should have a good section to himself. There will not be cars in the garage, just lots of tools and work benches and motorcycles. There are two or three steps leading from the garage into the kitchen/dining room area. We have a wood stove installed not far from the door and if it's like all other wood stoves I've had, I imagine the door will be opened anyhow to absorb the over heating in the house wood stoves can cause.

I really appreciate everyone's help! I can't explain how heart breaking this has been for me. Mike had a bad start in life and then went to a shelter...was "adopted" twice and taken back. He's the sweetest thing, but we've had to work through sep anxiety and super high energy...he's really made huge improvements. And I'm trying to do my best not to cause him any major set backs.
Mr.Bulldog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-11-2014, 07:47 PM
If you go out and live in a kennel with your dog then I have officially heard everything As far as is it possible to kennel outside then yes, perfectly, all of mine live outside in all but the very worst weather. They aren't delicate dogs and in all probability neither is yours, just as long as its dry and sheltered. As far as acting out in the kennel goes I've always gone on a buddy system, none of mine can reach each other but they can all see each other and that seems to be enough to keep them calm and entertained, although for a while I did need to block line of sight between my elder dog and his son. I would assume however that another dog would be off the cards for you as it stands though, assuming the one you have is even good with other dogs. The garage with a gate is a decent idea if you're prepared to give up your garage of course, also nobody has mentioned simply crating yet, anything stopping you simply doing that?
cfaith
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2014, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
All 4 of my very large girlies live in purpose built ouside kennels and they do very nicely out there, as anyone who has met them will testify. The floors are double floors with insulation in between, there is rubber stable matting down and then there is shavings on top of that, also an insulated sleeping compartment, so there are lots of different places for them to sleep in. Two of mine have very heavy thick coats, all of them have a dense undercoat, I sometimes find them outside in very cold weather fast asleep, when really you would expect them to be inside, even found them under snow once!!! I do use chicken heat lamps if the temperature is going to drop well below zero at night for a number of consecutive days. As long as you keep them out of damp and draughts, ensure they are fed to reflect the fact they are outside and need additional calories in the winter, you are not doing anything wrong
Thank you! I've never had outside dogs, so this is all new to me. I'm going to try and keep him in the garage as much as possible. Another poster mentioned having a gate in the doorway leading into the house from the garage so he still feels like he's "inside". But I also want to make sure everything is adequate for when he's in the kennel...thank you for all the tips!!
cfaith
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2014, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by Mr.Bulldog View Post
If you go out and live in a kennel with your dog then I have officially heard everything As far as is it possible to kennel outside then yes, perfectly, all of mine live outside in all but the very worst weather. They aren't delicate dogs and in all probability neither is yours, just as long as its dry and sheltered. As far as acting out in the kennel goes I've always gone on a buddy system, none of mine can reach each other but they can all see each other and that seems to be enough to keep them calm and entertained, although for a while I did need to block line of sight between my elder dog and his son. I would assume however that another dog would be off the cards for you as it stands though, assuming the one you have is even good with other dogs. The garage with a gate is a decent idea if you're prepared to give up your garage of course, also nobody has mentioned simply crating yet, anything stopping you simply doing that?
Hi, thank you for your advice!! We did do crating...he had serious sep anxiety...which knock on wood he's been really good about for awhile now. But, he would break out of the crates. like destroy them. I put locks and zip ties on them and ratchet straps...still broke out and would hurt himself. One time I put a game camera on my entertainment stand to see how he did it. He broke out 5 minutes after I left the house...and then went straight to the game camera and destroyed the outside of it.

There will not be vehicles in the garage. Tool chests, work benches and two motorcycles will be in there. It's an oversized two car garage.
cfaith
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2014, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
People on here have been great at giving me advice,you have come to the right place
Judge you?....no way All I see is a very loving owner and one lucky dog Good luck,looking forward to hearing how you get on xx
Thank you! That means a lot to me...I've been feeling really guilty and bad about this whole situation.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >