Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 04:33 AM
Yes, you are correct.

I always tell people "pretend you are a slot machine" so each time a dog comes back he is gambling on the result.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 06:21 AM
Not much to add, but agree with the previous replies.

With any new behaviour , you need to think....."how long has it been incorrect" & then compare that to the amount of time you have the behaviour that you want.

What i really wanted to say was WELL DONE for sticking with it!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 08:12 AM
I reward all recalls. I always have. It may save their life.
It doesn`t have to be a treat - it can be praise or a play. Why not graduate the rewards?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 08:32 AM
All through my dog's life, I've rewarded each and every recall. The value of the reward, however, has been reflected by the quality of the recall.

You've not been working long enough, in my opinion, to drop the reward value greatly (ie dropping to good lad and a tickle behind the ear), but it will come with consistent reliability.

The slot machine analogy is a good one. The variety of reward keeps us feeding the money in. However, if we use say a Kit Kat machine, we only feed money in until we get fed up or have had enough Kit Kats
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I reward all recalls. I always have. It may save their life.
It doesn`t have to be a treat - it can be praise or a play. Why not graduate the rewards?
I also reward all recalls. If the dogs are close with little in the way of distraction they may get praise/stroke. Calling off a chase or away from dogs/play, I throw a party!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
I also reward all recalls. If the dogs are close with little in the way of distraction they may get praise/stroke. Calling off a chase or away from dogs/play, I throw a party!
I like that.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
I haven't been able to much recall training with Cain, but I did a lot with Moon. I may be wrong but I don't think SB means you need to switch to a new treat (eg cheese to sausage) but you need to take a few different treats with you at the same time. Our dog trainer always advises to have at least two different treats on you so that if the dog gets bored of the first one, you can pull out something better. I tend to take a mixed treat bag eg liver cake, hot dog and cheese, so the dog never knows what they'll get as a reward, it keeps them interested. With Moon I'd give chicken for an easy/normal recall but I also have pepperoni (very high value!) for super brilliant recalls eg instant fast return, or called away from chasing birds etc. I also used to use jackpot recalls from time to time eg 10 pieces of pepperoni, for something utterly amazing (like recalling from a squirrel). Always worked well for us.
Yup my treat bag always has a mixture, kibble, shop treats, chicken, garlic sausage - they never know what they are geting next

As for always rewarding - yup totaly - always give some kind of reward - its only polite - you ask your dog to come back, he does, you say thankyou
some times you say 'WOW thankyou so much that was amazing' sometimes you say 'ta'
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2