register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: would you pay for an off lead walk for your dog while in kennels
Yes! everyday 17 47.22%
Yes every other day 5 13.89%
Only once or twice durin their stay 2 5.56%
No, not atall 12 33.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 8 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8
murph
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-06-2011, 10:19 AM
Your dogs are fit... Except that they're not!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by murph View Post
i think with the breeds i have it is impossible to ever tire them with exercise alone.. both are 'self regulating' and can and will go on forever..its defo mental stimulation needed as well.. cant see kennels doing that!

btw a 'proper' walk to me is between 8-15 miles...again, cant see kennels doing that either so kinda a pointless exercise(excuse the pun) imo.
murph
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Walking on the lead for me is for getting from a to b. Its also mental training/stimulation... It is not physical exercise... Unless I'm running - but if I'm going running I go where I can let them off the lead
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Walking on the lead for me is for getting from a to b. Its also mental training/stimulation... It is not physical exercise... Unless I'm running - but if I'm going running I go where I can let them off the lead
I disagree. I walk my male Estrela mostly on lead. He goes running once of twice a week in harness with my partner and swims whenever I can let him. He goes off lead once or twice a week. The rest is lead walking, for his safety and the safety of others. He is super fit, well muscled and mentally fullfilled. My bitch goes off lead more often, but doesn't run. Running is not a natural pace for this breed and they don't want to do it all the time. She is also very fit and muscular, and more than capable of doing the job she was bred for. Off lead running is not the only type of 'proper' exercise. It all depends on the breed of dog, temperament of that dog and how much other work you want to put in. I refuse to accept that I don't exercise my dogs properly. They get a lot more than most do.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 12:53 PM
sorry,was this aimed at my post? i wasnt talking ON lead.

i call exercise 'a walk' as i dont count the onlead bit to and from(only as a warm up and cool down) as i do not drive.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I disagree. I walk my male Estrela mostly on lead. He goes running once of twice a week in harness with my partner and swims whenever I can let him. He goes off lead once or twice a week. The rest is lead walking, for his safety and the safety of others. He is super fit, well muscled and mentally fullfilled. My bitch goes off lead more often, but doesn't run. Running is not a natural pace for this breed and they don't want to do it all the time. She is also very fit and muscular, and more than capable of doing the job she was bred for. Off lead running is not the only type of 'proper' exercise. It all depends on the breed of dog, temperament of that dog and how much other work you want to put in. I refuse to accept that I don't exercise my dogs properly. They get a lot more than most do.
yip... Tupac might as well not be off lead sometimes,he trundles along beside me...again ,running all the time is not a csv's natural pace either.

its well known pavement pounding is brilliant for muscles.

if you over exercise a free running dog,u often just get a dog that cannot wind down properly after and a dog that will just take more and more exercise...... is it really beneficial or is it just thought to be the 'done thing'
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 01:16 PM
They are fit enough that they look good and don't get ill. I can't walk far so that is what they get and I think they would say they enjoy their lives so good enough for me.
Page 8 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8