Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I always put Jake on the lead when i see an on lead dog, or an off lead dog where the owner seems to be keeping a distance. I think it is just manners, and being courteous.

There was an incident in the park the other day when i was walking with two other dog walkers and 3 dogs (not including Jake). Three people came in with two GSDs, both onlead. We left the dogs offlead until they started to get closer, then me and one of the other owners got the dogs on lead which left two dogs offlead. Now, I am pretty sure Jake would ignore them but just in case, i wanted to keep him safe incase they were kept onlead due to be DA. The two offlead dogs ignored them for a few minutes, but then one of the dogs charged over to see them. He reached the younger looking of the two dogs first, and the dog just went for him. Now, Zach is the kind of dog who doesnt often start trouble but if another dog does, he will be right in there. So a scrap started out, the GSD owner was fuming and started kicking out at Zach. It was over in seconds, and after some angry words the GSD owners moved on.

Then when me and the other owner who put her dog on lead, went to leave the park we saw the GSDs cut across the park to leave out the same gate as us and the younger looking GSD was now off lead. It then ran up to the on lead one, and that dog went for him and the owners had to pull them apart.

Now, in that instance the off lead dog IMO should never have been allowed to run up to an on lead dog. Yes, it does happen in places where lots of dogs are but it should be avoided as much as possible IMO. The dogs could have been put on lead, there was an opportunity but the owner just didn't want to... and even said the dogs would approach the GSDs. I like the guy, but i do think that it is the wrong attitude to have.
I agree ! some people are stupid. I have had a dog on lead and muzzled and people still let their dogs come over then proceeded to stand and watch me struggle while he twists and lunges at the end of the day its common sense, but sense aint that common as my OH would say, with some people. Some people are only concerned with themselves and their own dog and wouldnt even consider the other owners position.
Page 8 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8