Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
plantman
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-05-2011, 05:03 PM

Ten week old cockerpoo dog pup suckling himself

We've got a similar problem with our ten week old cockerpoo dog pup, in that he has long sessions of suckling himself. Should we be worried or will he grow out of it?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Hi Plantman, can you describe what your puppy is doing?
If he is licking his genitals excessively he could have an infection.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 05:13 PM
In case of an infection/irritant, you should have a vet check your puppy out
plantman
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-05-2011, 06:20 PM
There is no sign of infection, he just seems to think his penis is a teet and just sucks endlessly, which is very hard to ignore although we have until now...
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 06:59 PM
I would think it is likely that he is deriving comfort from the sucking, still needing to suck as when with his mother and littermates. He is still very much a baby. Does he tend to do it when he is settling down? He may also be getting a bit of sexual pleasure from it, so its a double attraction for him - What about diversion tactics and giving him toys he can cuddle up with/suck on. You could also encourage him to start to carry things around which might help. Hopefully. as he gets a bit older he will find something more interesting to do.
plantman
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-05-2011, 06:45 AM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
I would think it is likely that he is deriving comfort from the sucking, still needing to suck as when with his mother and littermates. He is still very much a baby. Does he tend to do it when he is settling down? He may also be getting a bit of sexual pleasure from it, so its a double attraction for him - What about diversion tactics and giving him toys he can cuddle up with/suck on. You could also encourage him to start to carry things around which might help. Hopefully. as he gets a bit older he will find something more interesting to do.
Thanks Rena, yes we are trying diversion tactics but once he gets stuck in to the suckling he really is hard to distract! I am surprised that you think he may be getting sexual pleasure from it, but if that is the case then it may be a hard habit to break....
Thanks everyone for all your thoughts and advice, I'll let you know how he gets on..
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-05-2011, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by plantman View Post
Thanks Rena, yes we are trying diversion tactics but once he gets stuck in to the suckling he really is hard to distract! I am surprised that you think he may be getting sexual pleasure from it, but if that is the case then it may be a hard habit to break....
Thanks everyone for all your thoughts and advice, I'll let you know how he gets on..
If he has not got some sort of irritation going on and he is persisently suckling, I think it must be pleasurable sensation for him. Because he is sucking his penis would that not make it sexual? I am sure you know that many young animals and human children (including babies) derive pleasure and comfort from their sexual bits and I understand it is completely normal, if somewhat embarrassing. I don't think it will develop into a habitual thing; its just something he has discovered and he derives comfort from it. Once he grows up a bit and gets out and about more, I would think he will get over it. In the meantime I would just carry on trying to divert/distract him when you see him doing it - perhaps offer some sort of substitute - and watch that he doesn't make himself sore. It might be worth a trip to the vet, just to ensure there is no irritation or problem in the area. Your vet is probably familiar with this behaviour and may have some ideas to help overcome it. When he is grown up you will probably look back and laugh about it. Best wishes. Rena.