Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2007, 08:04 AM

Any Tips Please

Patch and I are going to be laying carpets in my house tonight. The carpets are much bigger than the rooms they are going in, so any tips for making the job easier, gratefully appreciated.
There is also a hall stair and landing carpet to be done as well as dining room and lounge.
Lounge, hall and landing have carpet grippers. Dining room and stairs don.t.
Niknak
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-03-2007, 09:00 AM
Best piece of advice? Get a carpet fitter. Honestly - one small slip with a stanley knife = one big mistake for mankind - especially if his missus finds out. Apart from that get a "kicker" they are about £18 and well worth it as the carpet has to be stretched. After that wear clean trainers or, if you have to take them off. After that lay out your carpet, do the longest runs first then the short ones and to cut into corners cut diagonally. Apart from that try the library first - they may have a good book on it.
Niknak
Niknak
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-03-2007, 09:02 AM
p.s. if there's a lump in the carpet it probably means patch hasn't come out yet. (oh and by the way it may seem obvious but do try and get all the furniture out first).
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2007, 09:04 AM
if your going to do it yourself then i hope you have strong knee's!
you need a carpet 'kicker' just like niknak said.
if you dont stretch the carpet then it will go all saggy in a few months
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2007, 09:09 AM
i would invest in a carpet fitter its not as easy as it looks we layed a carpet a few years ago in a really small square room we thought it would be easy but it really wasn;t

the carpet came up in the end as it wasn't fitted properly so was a waste of money ...........
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2007, 09:15 AM
Also allow the carpet to 'warm up' in the room so it relaxes, basically open it up and place it roughly where it is going and allow it to relax for a bit before trying to fit it.
Becky
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2007, 09:17 AM
i was once told that hall and stair carpets shopuld have been stored rolled and not folded before fitting ........if its folded its almost impossible to fit to stairs
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2007, 09:26 AM
I can't afford carpet fitter so will definatly be a home jobby.
Luckily my dining room is a perfect rectangle so we can practice on that and stairs first before tackling the lounge which is a very awkward shape.
Thanks for the tips, will try to make sure I don't fasten the carpet down with Patch still underneath :smt081 and will let you know how it goes, if its down or in a million pieces up the road somewhere, with Patch and I blind drunk to get over the trauma.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Niknak View Post
p.s. if there's a lump in the carpet it probably means patch hasn't come out yet.
Thats very much a possibility :smt043
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Thanks for the tips, will try to make sure I don't fasten the carpet down with Patch still underneath :smt081 and will let you know how it goes, if its down or in a million pieces up the road somewhere, with Patch and I blind drunk to get over the trauma.
But I don`t drink alcofrol so I will be rocking in a corner with a few bottles of Valerian I suspect
[ Once I get off here, considering I`m supposed to be on my way round and you caught me - now you know why I`m always late ]
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >