register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Is CM improving as a TV trainer & offering more apt advice
Yes 45 52.33%
No 41 47.67%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 51 of 84 « First < 41 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 61 > Last »
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by Promethean View Post
BTW This is another dog that Millan "cured". However, if you read the book DW the Ultimate Episode guide, we learn that the dog remained as aggressive as ever and the people gave the dog away because they couldn't handle him.
which begs the question why is the episode still being shown? seems to me that cm fans will not accept the truth even when it is as blatant as that.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
which begs the question why is the episode still being shown? seems to me that cm fans will not accept the truth even when it is as blatant as that.

I think it is just as likely that the owners did not follow through with his advice as many dont, especially as they were happy to give it away. This is what i find with the majority of rescue dogs i come across.
Who knows doesnt mean the episode should not be shown in my opinion.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
No problem for explaining I am not picking on you. We have all felt targeted for one reason or another on here, best not to take it personally and move on...in the next thread you'll be having a laugh with people.

I think you must have used force, quite a lot of it, with an anxious GSD that is jumping up, to get it into an alpha roll. I can't see that it could have been otherwise. I have seen CM alpha roll and he always seems to break into a sweat suggesting force is used. I do not have personal experience of alpha rolling (my dogs would think I was tickling them or having a TTouch session)but i do have experience of big dogs that are leaping around. No way could I alpha roll without force.

Why do you think clicker training is far removed from how a dog behaves naturally? You don't have to use clicker training to make a dog do 'tricks' you can use clicker training for absolutely anything at all. I have found clicker training makes my dog think for himself and i love to see that.

You didn't say what other methods you have used that you feel have dumbed your dog down?

Absolutely no need to apologise.

I've seen my dogs soft mouthing each other and it still looks painful...it isn't painful when they do it to me...but it has the potential to be.

Hmmmmm,...have you ever watched an episdoe of CM with the sound off? ALL of the episode. Watch a new episode and turn the volume off. Don't watch CM watch the dog.Watch the signals the dog is giving to CM...watch how the dog is trying to communicate with him but is ignored.

Indeed.
Before you watch the CM episode without sound...read that book. I personally think everyone with a dog should read it. It is a total must have if you want to understand what your dog is saying to you...
I shall def have a read
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-09-2009, 09:52 PM
What is it with Millan's followers and their mystical 'energy'\\

I wonder how calm they would feel to get kicked or punched by me - I promise to kick them or jab them using only calm "energy". You can even try pulling and pointing a gun at a person... don't worry they won't be traumatized by it - after all it's about the "energy"
I dont beleive you can have read a word i have said.
I use calmness in all my life, nothing to do with ceaser Milan, all to do with the life i want to lead and it does not make you some type of hippy, although id quite happily be!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Lilypup, I remember that episode well - we have chatted about it on here
basically as I rem JohnBee was found as a stray in a bad condition the vet thought he had been tied in a yard by a choke chain - so he already has bad experiences with things round its neck
The man says the dog is perfect and will let him do anything with it except it wont let him alpha roll it in the house - happy submiting anywhere else just not in the house and so he feels the dog would be dangerous to rehome because of this issue

Outside dog is v nervous of CM , he even sees that but says something along the lines of 'before we see agression we often see fear'

Takes dog inside - to slippy wood floor, dog v uncomfy but lets CM prod him about
The owner says they now need to put the muzzle on, basicaly the owner puts the muzzle on before he tries to roll the dog - so the dog has learnt to expect what is going to happen next and becomes even more unhappy
CM even comments that the dog does not like the muzzle

Then he tries to force to dog onto its back - of course the dog now fights back, CM raises the lead so coller is just below jaw in choking position - of course dog goes more nuts
CM now calmly holds the dog up until it is too tired - and prob not got enough air to fight back. dog is totaly rigid - cm believes he has a victory and the dog is calm submissive

Really I fail to see what CM thought he was teaching the dog - as far as I can see all that happend is the dog had it reinforced that slippy floor + muzzle = bad things about to happen

interested in how that can be interperated any other way
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-09-2009, 12:41 AM
I think it is just as likely that the owners did not follow through with his advice as many dont, especially as they were happy to give it away. This is what i find with the majority of rescue dogs i come across.
Who knows doesnt mean the episode should not be shown in my opinion.

Another example of why Millanism is like a religion. His fans are unable to even consider rational fact based arguments. After all, he can't be wrong - he's on TV, where is YOUR show?. Who would imagine that using violent methods would be detrimental to an already fearful dog and result in aggressive dogs.[sup]1[/sup]

1. Herron et al. Survey of the use and outcome of confrontational and non-confrontational training methods in client-owned dogs showing undesired behaviors. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 2009; 117

The man says the dog is perfect and will let him do anything with it except it wont let him alpha roll it in the house
"Look at this vicious dog, he defends himself when I attack him."

Outside dog is v nervous of CM , he even sees that but says something along the lines of 'before we see agression we often see fear'
And Millan is thinking "So let us confirm and cement that feeling by attacking the dog and forcing him to defend"
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2009, 06:30 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
...The man says the dog is perfect and will let him do anything with it except it wont let him alpha roll it in the house - happy submiting anywhere else just not in the house ...
]
NOT that I agree with alpha rolling obviously, but it's clear that the dog did not like the slippery hard floors. I suspect that had a lot to do with it.
and so he feels the dog would be dangerous to rehome because of this issue
So terribly misinformed and sad, it's heartbreaking
But where did the owner get such shocking misinformation from, I wonder?

Wys
x
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2009, 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Really I fail to see what CM thought he was teaching the dog - as far as I can see all that happend is the dog had it reinforced that slippy floor + muzzle = bad things about to happen

interested in how that can be interperated any other way
it was seriously upsetting and i find it extremely worrying that anyone would see it as 'training'.

Another example of why Millanism is like a religion. His fans are unable to even consider rational fact based arguments. After all, he can't be wrong - he's on TV, where is YOUR show?. Who would imagine that using violent methods would be detrimental to an already fearful dog and result in aggressive dogs.
i spoke to some people on another dog forum and got just the same response as on here from the 'fans'. it is like some kind of brainwashing! what on earth is this power cesar millan holds???
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-09-2009, 08:58 AM
but he doesn't say that he is 'mouthing' he clearly states he is 'biting'. and you probably don't kick your dogs but i have watched cesar kicking dogs, in particular the wolf mix that bit him before he asphyxiated it. he uses force at times and i just cannot accept that is the correct way to train a dog.
No of course i dont kick my dogs. I have not seen this episode, so i cant comment on this paticular case.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-09-2009, 09:01 AM
well we will just have to agree to disagree. i'll stick to positive training methods with my dogs.
Of course, that is what is important, that you do what is right for you and your dogs.
I beleive the methods i use are positive and they certainly have had positive outcomes and left well balanced happy dogs.
Closed Thread
Page 51 of 84 « First < 41 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 61 > Last »