View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-06-2007, 10:30 PM
totally agree, look at james dyson, the vacuum cleaner company, they've moved to the far east. but i've noticed in the past that some new businesses take over the abandoned factories that these companies leave behind. china is emerging as a major manufacturing country, so this country will have to be at the fore-front of any new technology thats developing. thats the negative side to the £ being strong. companies are moving to third world coutries where labour costs are cheaper.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-06-2007, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
and most people can't afford to buy a house, many people are leaving the UK because they can no longer afford the lifestyle they want over here. The richer have got richer and the poor poorer, the gap between rich and poor is bigger, there are more bankruptcy's, repossession and Voluntary Dept agreements than ever before. There are more people in poverty now than ever before. There are many of the hidden homeless. I was one of them so the unemployment figures are incorrect because they don't count them like they used to and don't include everyone.
Becky
I had thought to keep out of this one, because I can get a bit "volatile" where politics are concerned; HOWEVER - there are at least a couple of inaccuracies here, which ought to be corrected :-

The rich/poor gap started to widen terribly under the premiership of one M. Thatcher, not under this government.
The counting method for the unemployment figures was changed (several times, actually), under the same Tory government. When I started in the ES, we used to take the trays of claims, and count each one manually (on Friday afternoons!). Now, they're computer-tallied, and figures for (eg) "unemployed and not getting benefit" are knocked off the total. The true unemployment figures have been much worse than stated since about 1980 - another feather in the cap for Thatchula.

Snorri
(Proud never to have voted Tory)
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2007, 11:42 PM
I think both the Tory and more recent TB Labour governments have given us an equal amount of rubbish.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I think both the Tory and more recent TB Labour governments have given us an equal amount of rubbish.
ah, but that's called "guilding the lily". MPs are basically all the same, but i've NEVER seen such a vicious, reactionary government as was under thatcher !! folks in the UK seem to have short memories, they've fogotten the 6,000,000 that were unemployed in the 80's. TB, and GB have only been in for 10 yrs, it's been tough going to get the mess sorted out that the tory's left, but we've had two gulf conflicts and other unrest in the world, someone has had to pay for the armaments and it was the great british people who footed the bill. i'm not forgetting our greatest friends over the pond, they were the ones that pitched in as well. it's only a few months ago i heard the germans moaning about the amount of taxes they're paying, does'nt that give folks here a bit of comfort in knowing that we're not the highest taxed country in europe !!
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4