View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-02-2018, 11:32 AM
I've always gone on holiday without my dogs, they were happy in kennels and I was happy knowing they were well looked after. They had the advantage of being a group so they were kept together and therefore life was relatively normal. I looked at loads before deciding and tbh it became glaringly obvious which one was the right one. I found recommendations completely useless tbh,we obviously all want different things for our dogs. I'd say just do the leg work it's worth it.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2018, 01:29 PM
With your lot Trouble I can see your problem. We bought a caravan which has proven to be a great success and much cheaper than self-catering. X gnasher
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-02-2018, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
With your lot Trouble I can see your problem. We bought a caravan which has proven to be a great success and much cheaper than self-catering. X gnasher
Least these days they're tiddlers, try convincing anyone to let you take 3 Dobermanns etc.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2018, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Least these days they're tiddlers, try convincing anyone to let you take 3 Dobermanns etc.
Lol!! I remember the last place we rented with Ben and Tai together was in the Forest of Dean. The poor owner looked absolutely horrified when he saw them ... but as I always leave our properties absolutely immaculate, he was more than happy ... because they are so hairy, people panic but often the place s cleaner than when we arrived.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-02-2018, 05:40 PM
My dog comes everywhere with us ... dog friendly pubs and restaurants are increasing in number. I would not dream of going on holiday without Ben ��
I applaud that.
When we were planning to go to the US we got a big crate (aka cage) for Max but the idea of him being stuck in the hold for the nine hour flight plus embarking and disembarking time completely put me off the project. We gave the crate to a friend with a Great Dane.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2018, 06:49 PM
My family and friends get very irritated I think by the fact that we cannot go anywhere like fancy restaurants, the theatre, opera or cinema, or have holidays abroad for the past 20 years. They think we are mad, but this is the price you have to pay for having a northern breed - it wasn't too bad when we had Tai with Been, but even so we never left them home alone ... they are worth every sacrifice we have had to make. My brother was very sniffy at my my mother's 90th birthday because i insisted on Ben being in the dining with 2 young babies - my grandson and my great niece. Both of course were perfectly OK with the dogs, but the fuss that my brother made!!
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-02-2018, 08:09 PM
My family and friends get very irritated I think by the fact that we cannot go anywhere like fancy restaurants, the theatre, opera or cinema, or have holidays abroad for the past 20 years.
Theatre, opera, and cinema we didn't do even before we got Max. We still do fancy restaurants. The dog stays at home. I can't really say he is abundantly happy but he just knows when he can't go and doesn't make a fuss. If we are going to be away more than a few hours we have a lovely neighbour who dog sits and even walks him.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2018, 09:37 PM
Ben goes beserk if we leave him on those very rare occasions when im at work and Mike has to go to the dentist or doctor. He howls whilst we are gone and rakes the front door with his powerful claws. His father was almost as bad and Tai was even worse! Ben's half brother Woody destroyed our mahogany garage doors costing hundreds of pounds!!
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-02-2018, 10:03 PM
Ben goes beserk if we leave him on those very rare occasions when im at work and Mike has to go to the dentist or doctor. He howls whilst we are gone and rakes the front door with his powerful claws. His father was almost as bad and Tai was even worse! Ben's half brother Woody destroyed our mahogany garage doors costing hundreds of pounds!!
The more I read here the more I realise how lucky we got.
Or he got.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2018, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
The more I read here the more I realise how lucky we got.
Or he got.
Yup!! This is why so many of these beautiful wolfy dogs end up in rescue - people just cannot cope with the destruction, the high energy, basically the wolfiness!! Which paradoxically they wanted in the first place!! They have seen Snowdogs, and they want one; they could well be very experienced dog owners, expert at training etc., but they just do not realise that with any northern breed there is a certain amount of rolling with the punches required. They are so intelligent, mischievous, wilful, disobedient if it suits them, which is why I am spoiled for any other choice of dog, although I do have a bit of a penchant for border terriers!

As long as Ben is with us he is perfectly well behaved - will tolerate sleeping under a table in a pub for hours on end, lapping up all the attention he gets, and everyone says Gosh isn't he well-behaved!! Little do they know!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >