View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Annie18
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-04-2005, 01:11 PM

A gardening benefit of feeding raw food???

Hi all, I don't currently feed my dog raw food but have been reading up on the subject. I saw something recently which implied that processed food causes the acid dog urine which kills garden grass. This intrigued me and I wondered if raw feeders on here could comment - truth or fallacy? :smt100

Incidentally, how is it that parks and other places heavily frequented by dogs never seem to end up with all those little brown patches???? One small Oscar wee on my lawn results in a brown dead patch!!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-04-2005, 02:14 PM
Hello Annie , yes what you feed your dog does affect the ph balance of what comes out of the other end. I understand people who BARF feed have very few problem with stained grass, I don't either and feed Burns an excellent balances food with no additives . If your dog is staining the grass to any great extent I would look at what you are feeding and be aware, problems with the ph balance of urine can lead to crystals and stones forming in a dogs bladder so might be an ideas to have the urine tested next time you are at the vets to make sure all well .
RobK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-04-2005, 03:11 PM
I feed raw, but I only have one small patch of grass in the front.So she has only wee'd on it a couple of times.No brown spots tho.
Annie18
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-04-2005, 03:20 PM
That's interesting, thank you. I've had a total of three retrievers fed on a variety of foods (not completely raw though) and they have all killed the grass. Initially, I was told only bitches did this but it has been just the same with Oscar. I always assumed this was just a normal dog thing as I've seen gardening programmes on tv which have stated categorically that dogs weeing on grass will kill it almost instantly.

As for Burns, I've heard good things of it but doesn't it have the normal drawbacks of all processed food, ie cooking destroying vitamins, possible excess levels of proteins etc?
Meg
Supervisor

15-04-2005, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by Annie18
. I always assumed this was just a normal dog thing as I've seen gardening programmes on tv which have stated categorically that dogs weeing on grass will kill it almost instantly.

As for Burns, I've heard good things of it but doesn't it have the normal drawbacks of all processed food, ie cooking destroying vitamins, possible excess levels of proteins etc?
Annie, I do not believe that to be the case with Burns, I would advise you go to read the info on their site, there is lots of interesting stuff there. As for grass as I said I don't have a big problem If worried about you lawn the easy answer is to always have a bucket of water at the ready and throw it over the spot. Maybe some of the BARF people can answer you shortly
Annie18
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-04-2005, 04:08 PM
Hi Minihaha, I've tried applying water straight away but afraid it doesn't work! Actually, I have a large paved area in my garden I can restrict him to most of the time, but he always manages to save some for the grass

I will read up on Burns, thanks.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2005, 04:13 PM
I also feed Burns and have no problems at all with brown patches. My bitch was terribe for leaving brown patches on the grass when she urinated. I suppose it also comes down to the make-up of each individual dog.
Annie18
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-04-2005, 04:17 PM
Hi Staffy, Was your bitch also fed Burns?
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2005, 04:21 PM
No she wasn't, unfortunately I didn't discover the benefits of Burns till after she died. I forget wot she was fed on but no matter wot food we put her on she still left brown patches lol
Carole
Supervisor

15-04-2005, 05:49 PM
Star used to leave brown patches when she was fed Burns. We had to pour water over the grass every time she peed.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >