Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Norma808
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-10-2014, 03:34 PM

Shades of grey (written 26/4/ 14)

Dawn breaks dark and grey a marked change from the last few days which have been warm and spring like
It's as if all the colour has leeched from my surroundings and I am looking at a world in monochrome
This has always been an eerie place and a light grey mist that hangs over everything does nothing to diminish that feeling
The overhead sky is a dark gun metal grey becoming lighter above the eastern horizon where it takes on a chrome like appearance ,becoming an ever increasing darker grey as it drops below the horizon ,then lighter again on the surface of the loch ,where here and there tendrils of mist rise like smoke on the surface of the water
Like grey ghosts a few hinds and followers can be seen drifting in and out of the Alders and Bog Oak ,slowly making their way up the hill to where they will spend the daylight hours ,having spent the night down on the flats feeding on cotton grass
Cotton grass starts to grow in early spring ,having a higher nutritional content than most moorland plants ,and is much sought after by deer ,first the shoots and later the flowers ,which are attractive also to hares and grouse ,this is the same plant that later produces seed heads that look like balls of cotton wool,but only if the flowers have escaped being eaten ,which is why they are seldom seen in high numbers unless they are growing where there are few deer or in an area that has been fenced off
Way out on the hill the eerie call of a curlew gives away the presence of a traveling fox ,but it's impossible to spot him in this poor grey light
A Herron looking more like a Pterodactyl than a present day bird glides in and lands to stand one legged in the shallows to await the arrival of his breakfast
There are tales of Kelpies or Each Uisge in this loch , I am never entirely sure which is which
The fable of the Kelpie varies from region to region and is Scotland's own shape shifter
The kelpie is.a Celtic water spirit living in pools of Scottish streams and rivers ,the kelpie usually takes the form of a horse which will try to lure humans particularly children on to its back ,where upon the unfortunate rider will find he is stuck the kelpie then returning to the river where it will devour them apart from the liver which the kelpie apparently finds unpalatable
There are variations of this tale told over the highlands usually involving ten children ,nine of which are lured to their deaths ,the tenth escaping to tell the tale
Sometime the kelpie is said to appear as a beautiful young woman who will attempt to lure young male travellers
Each Uisge is a similar creature but it's habitat is dark highland lochs, sea lochs, and even the sea on occasions
While the kelpie tries to lure humans ,Each Uisge is said to actively hunt them
Though here alone I an not greatly concerned by water spirits ,at this time in my life I think it unlikely that I would climb on board a big black horse and try to ride it bare back ,nor is my head likely to be turned by a young woman should she suddenly appear at dawn by a highland loch
However in the unlikely event of finding myself tempted by either scenario ,I should think I would be quite safe ,knowing these water spirits penchant for young flesh ,they would most likely find me to be well past my best before date
A stiff breeze suddenly springs up and a squally shower skitters across the surface of the loch before dying out as quickly as it started,a forecast of what's to come
Colour is starting to seep back into my surroundings and it's time I made a move before the weather closes in again
Another one of hubby's scribblings ,prompted by Brenda1's mention of the Falkirk Kelpies
Hope no one will be offended , bored to death and may even have a wee giggle
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2014, 04:19 PM
I think its brilliant NORMA Did make me giggle He really is gifted
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-10-2014, 06:12 PM
Very very atmospheric. He is so talented, missed his way in my opinion
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2014, 10:26 PM
I enjoyed reading it!!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-10-2014, 07:11 AM
I enjoyed reading that would make a good short story for a magazine maybe. You never know it may lead to bigger things.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2014, 08:06 AM
I haven't read the original 50 Shades of Grey and frankly I was disappointed. I thought that was what I was going to read here

Seriously Norma that is brilliant, your hubby is very talented.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2014, 05:19 PM
Beautiful piece of writing. Quite wonderful. He is very gifted and a romantic too.