View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-09-2014, 04:38 PM
Perhaps that's it - he used to wear a very visible one.

But would he be able to get the mini in-ear ones on the NHS? As he's just been released from prison, I doubt he'd have been able to get anything expensive.

(This is very sad - I think I need help.)
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-09-2014, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by jantet View Post
Perhaps that's it - he used to wear a very visible one.

But would he be able to get the mini in-ear ones on the NHS? As he's just been released from prison, I doubt he'd have been able to get anything expensive.

(This is very sad - I think I need help.)
I honestly have no idea as I am not in the UK and there are no free hearing aids here of whatever type. I did not buy mine because of its almost invisibility, I bought it as it was the only one suitable for me [one ear only as the other has no speech frequencies at all and very little other audible frequencies].

And all types are expensive, as are the batteries.
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-09-2014, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I honestly have no idea as I am not in the UK and there are no free hearing aids here of whatever type. I did not buy mine because of its almost invisibility, I bought it as it was the only one suitable for me [one ear only as the other has no speech frequencies at all and very little other audible frequencies].

And all types are expensive, as are the batteries.
When Pepe was a puppy he chewed up one of my husband's hearing aids, so we are very fortunate that it was not an expensive one! They were quite amused at the clinic, and replaced it without charge.

But even with two hearing aids his hearing is a major problem, and I do wonder if it might be better if we could get some privately.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-09-2014, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by jantet View Post
When Pepe was a puppy he chewed up one of my husband's hearing aids, so we are very fortunate that it was not an expensive one! They were quite amused at the clinic, and replaced it without charge.

But even with two hearing aids his hearing is a major problem, and I do wonder if it might be better if we could get some privately.
I think it depends more on the person actually doing the hearing test than the aids themselves, and privately bought are not necessarily better. My Otologist works for the Health Fund to which I belong [as well as privately] so I did not have to pay to see him - and he sent me to a private clinic who also do work for the Health Fund, for a very thorough hearing test.

When I took the results to him he sent me to a major Health Fund hospital for an ABR [auditory brainstem response] test to check for a possible tumour which might have caused the hearing loss, but luckily there was none, and the actual hearing tests matched the results from the ABR.

So he sent me back to the clinic who did the hearing tests, with a recommendation that they provide the best type of aid for my dodgy but hearing left ear. It was the mini ITC one, and yes, it probably was the most expensive but as I had been referred by the Health Fund Otologist, they [the HF] paid - I think - 25% of the cost of the aid.

So it is not as if I had just gone into the private clinic, asked for a hearing test and bought the aid I fancied.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3