View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2005, 11:24 AM
I'm not sure on the exact amounts....but Teagan gets 1 clove every few days.
Her liver cake (she has 3-4 times a week as treats), has garlic powder in too, but not a lot. Enough to smell it though! lol
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-04-2005, 12:36 PM
Hi. Not sure we have the same products here, but a few options if you can find them...

Advantage - works in the same way as Frontline Topspot. With dogs that had a reaction to frontline, this worked better.
Flea collars dont work at all, not sure why they still make them, but putting them in the vacuum cleaner sounds a good idea.
Garlic also sounds a good idea. will try that.
If you have ever have an infestation, and need immediate relief, get the vet to give you a Capstar tablet for your dog. It kills whatever is alive on them right then, you can actually see the ******s drop off.
Bayopet Surface spray is another of my favourites. Spray bedding, carpets etc. Works wonders.
Flea & tick shampoos DONT work. They may kill what is on the dog right then, but the next day more eggs have hatched & you are back to the start. Also Our previous dog used to have a bad skin reaction to the flea/tick shampoos, and was allergic to dip.

Pity about Frontline. I couldnt live without it. we have never seen a flea or tick on Bruno as we always frontline
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-04-2005, 12:43 PM
I add a clove of garlic to Star's food once a day. She loves it and would eat the clove whole if I gave it to her that way.

I also use frontline every 2 months.
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2005, 12:44 PM
I give mine a garlic capsule every day all year round and touch wood no fleas yet!!
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-04-2005, 01:10 PM
Just out of pure curiosity, would dogs eat garlic in the wild?
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-04-2005, 01:13 PM
i use program plus it is a pill once a month for fleas and worms.
toby can be prone to hotspots he has senative skin some times so i never put frontline on him.
we would have a job to cover him with it any way cause of how thick the coat is......
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-04-2005, 02:30 PM
Hi Helena like many of the others I do not use things like frontline or any of those type of products which I consider to be harmful particularly as Amy has previously had a serious allergic reaction caused be an unknown agent. Also like many of the others I use garlic, in the spring/summer when the flea population is more prevalent I put a couple of drops of pure Tee tree oil on a cloth (from health food shop ) and rub it along the dogs back before going out in the fields ..by the time I return the smell has gone but it is not unpleasant anyway. I have never found a flea on Amy, she is combed and checked over daily anyway.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2005, 04:05 PM
Thanks everyone for all these marvellous tips! I have just read on the Burns website that he recommends steeping half a lemon in hot water overnight and rubbing it on the dog next day to stop the fleas jumping on them, so I will try that soon when the weather heats up and the fleas are about.
Thanks Mini I do actually have some tea tree oil handy as I used to use it for Georgie's skin if it got a bit red and heated, at least it stopped him licking himself!
Leo, the Frontline I used was in a pipette which you empty between their shoulder blades and was carried around the body in the blood, but that's another reason I wanted to stop using it though.
Hopefully, they won't have any jumping on them if I use the garlic and maybe the tea tree oil, as touch wood they are flea free at the moment, I just didn't want to end up with them having any, as I always used Frontline each month for years and the Programme too in the past but at the moment I had nothing to resort to.

Thanks Leo, at least I know then that the Program tablets will not cause Georgie's skin to flare up again if I have to resort to those.
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by TamT
Just out of pure curiosity, would dogs eat garlic in the wild?
We've got an awful lot of wild garlic growing in woods around here and the dogs certainly enjoy eating the leaves.

So do I, pick them, wash them, chop roughly and toss into cooked spaghetti/linguine (add cooked smoked bacon or pancetta or ham if you like) Yum! and free!
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-04-2005, 09:20 AM
Wow, Dinahsmum, that sounds good!!!

I also like the T-tree oil idea!!! Will definately try that when going into the thick long grass
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >