Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2008, 04:05 PM

advice on grooming needed

Fly our older collie is moulting like I dont know what! unlike Shadow! I'm grooming her everyday somethimes twice with a zoom groom and a toothed brush and it seems I take out the same amount everytime and my carpet is just fur atm. It's driving me nuts! Can anyone suggest a better brush?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2008, 04:11 PM
I just bought a new slicker type brush from P@H, and it's for double coated dogs (which I think collies are too aren't they??) It's a great big brush, comfortable to hold with a soft grip rubberised type handle cost about £6.96 and it's the best brush I've ever used for de-furring! Maybe it's on their website, if you want I'll take a look??? This is definitely the one for you!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Get yourself a Furminator, they are a wonderful invention.

http://www.furminator.com/
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Wow! That looks good!! Is it just a rake though like I've got??? Raking is brilliant, but that comes after my slicking!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2008, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Wow! That looks good!! Is it just a rake though like I've got??? Raking is brilliant, but that comes after my slicking!
I think it is a bit more than a rake Helena. It has a blade which only takes the undercoat and leaves the top coat alone. Honest I could not believe the amount of dead fur that came out of Ben. He's a smooth coat as well Can you imagine the amount that would come out of a rough collie
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2008, 04:38 PM
A blade???? Nah, better not then!!!!

I once bought an attachment to the hoover, it was pale blue, can't remember what it was called but it was about £50, and I never used it coz I couldn't fit it on the Dyson handle!!!! Think it got binned! I was doing it as instructed too, coz I eventually had to enlist the help of Dave and he couldn't manage it either, so don't whatever you do, buy one of those, whatever they're called!
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
Get yourself a Furminator, they are a wonderful invention.

http://www.furminator.com/
That looks amaing, may have to invest in one of those, I can feel Katie's dead fur and i Can brush her for ages and i still can't get it all and she gets feed up after about 10 minutes.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
A blade???? Nah, better not then!!!!

I once bought an attachment to the hoover, it was pale blue, can't remember what it was called but it was about £50, and I never used it coz I couldn't fit it on the Dyson handle!!!! Think it got binned! I was doing it as instructed too, coz I eventually had to enlist the help of Dave and he couldn't manage it either, so don't whatever you do, buy one of those, whatever they're called!

It's not a sharp blade. I've got one and Loki loves it. He looks fab when he's been done,too. See pics below!

this is Loki all woolly before Furmination

And then after.

and all the fluff.

They're suitable for all shedding breeds and don't hurt the dog, so long as you're doing it right, which can be said of rakes and slickers. It cost about £25 on ebay. They are expensive on some websites, though.
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Thanks elaine b I have gone ahead and purchased one!! Loki - how often do you finfd you have to use it??
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by **Leanne** View Post
Thanks elaine b I have gone ahead and purchased one!! Loki - how often do you finfd you have to use it??
I used it once a week for three weeks, Ben is smooth coat. But if yours is a rough then do it for longer. Then when your not getting much out maybe once a month. They really are worth their weight in gold.

Ps I bought mine from Jolleys Pet shop, they were selling for for £10 off, still £24 mind you.
Watch the video's on the website. It is really easy to use. Short strokes. Dont use it like a comb (that is all the way along to dogs back).
Elaine xx
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >