View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2008, 06:31 PM
However using such a scientifically 'perfect' diet I suppose seems to stop many things occurring or getting the better of your dog.
wow thats quite a claim... I dont believe there is a 'perfect' diet..
06dcc.brigdenh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
What controversy? Have I missed a good ruck?
I doubt very much if anyone can say that a certain food is the best for all dogs. It`s a patently absurd statement.
I would also say that your argument that having bad teeth is better than constant diarrhea doesn`t make sense. Nothing in life is that simple, unfortunately.
If you are looking at Hills as an example, I should like to remind you that processed `convenience` dogfood is a very recent invention. Since it is a young and not impartial science, being funded solely by Petfood manufacturers, I think I would take these claims with a very large pinch of salt.
If you want to look at raw feeding, why are you just quoting the problems? Why, if you are going into this as a science are you not looking at pros as well as cons? I`m asking impartially as I feed both processed and raw so I don`t have an axe to grind.
eta: you seem to be basing your study on one dog. This to me proves that no one dogfood suits all dogs!

Maybe dog foods began as a convenience thing however I do feel that science diets are not simple convenience foods, even if some of the cheaper ones equate to such. If they would be improved by returning their formulations to a raw state then I am sure they would do so.
Personally I would rather have a few crowns than constant diarrhoea.... but that statement I made was merely an observation.
Finally aaaaaarrrrrrrgh!!!!! How many more times do I have to say I AM weighing up the pros and cons of both sides, and this is my conclusion!!! I have said raw food is good in some ways.
06dcc.brigdenh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2008, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
wow thats quite a claim... I dont believe there is a 'perfect' diet..
Stop picking part what I say. I am sure you know what I am inferring, but it helps you to break me down I suppose if you are pedantic about things... I am not implying there is a perfect diet. Nothing is perfect, however they are striving to make their food as refined, and scientifically accurate based on current research as they can.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2008, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by 06dcc.brigdenh View Post
Finally aaaaaarrrrrrrgh!!!!! How many more times do I have to say I AM weighing up the pros and cons of both sides, and this is my conclusion!!! I have said raw food is good in some ways.
Can I ask how many dogs you have studied as yet? would you be intrested in adding to the amount of dogs you studied?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Stop picking part what I say. I am sure you know what I am inferring, but it helps you to break me down I suppose if you are pedantic about things... I am not implying there is a perfect diet. Nothing is perfect, however they are striving to make their food as refined, and scientifically accurate based on current research as they can.

I dont believe I am being pedantic I just felt its a fairly big statement..often posts read slighty diff to what we intend when we write them, it can be helpful to be more detailed in what you mean.
06dcc.brigdenh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2008, 06:38 PM
calm down... I think most members on here are very aware of what they feed, many will have questioned themselfs many times..

poss the whole.. 'my teacher vet friend said'... has been where the problem came in.. eg its not really your views, but someone elses view.. hence you are just adopting someone elses statement,.. the very thing you are saying we may be doing
can you see what I mean

I have not been warped. I was inspired to question myself in an unbiased way, not just have my opinion changed to something another person is telling me to. I weighed up both sides, not simply taking what she said as gospel, and came to my own conclusion. I do not think that simply because she is a vet she is better than me, knows everything, has to be obeyed...What I experienced was that by talking with a qualified person like that face to face, they can actually elaborate on some of the issues you bring up-some of the common arguments, eg 'when we want to be healthy, we don't go out and buy a bag of human food.' and explain them on a higher, more scientific level- sometimes something you were sure made perfect sense then is shown to be flawed. I considered the things she said, and do not buy the whole 'carbohydrate is natural/necessary' or that a totally balanced diet is necessary or achieveable, however some things I do.
06dcc.brigdenh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Can I ask how many dogs you have studied as yet? would you be intrested in adding to the amount of dogs you studied?
I have my own dog, and I also have knowledge of many others who have had similar problems as I. How many dogs have you studied to decide it is safe?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2008, 06:56 PM
I have my own dog, and I also have knowledge of many others who have had similar problems as I. How many dogs have you studied to decide it is safe?
I have not studied any dogs... I have however talked to my vet at some lenght about feeding..
that said Im not the one starting a thread on the controversy of raw feeding...

I had wrongly assumed you based your info on a group of dogs you studied...

FWIW.. I dont feed raw... I feed a varied diet to my dogs.. as a breeder I would say I have based my choices in feeding due to the health of my dogs... and my pups.

the results talk for themselfs...

Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2008, 06:57 PM
must you be so nippy.... I had thought poss you had started this thread to widen you knowlage...
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2008, 09:03 PM
I don`t really understand what you are asking then - or stating. You are either considering and evaluating OR you have reached a conclusion. You can`t really do both.

To me , it seems that you seem to be supporting this tutor`s views that Hills is THE best diet for dogs. I`m sure you said that. And of all the views from the Raw Feeding site you only quoted ones who had found it problematic. And then you said your own dog didn`t do well on it. It seems that you have indeed reached conclusion that raw feeding isn`t for you. However, I don`t see how you can generalise from that very subjective evidence.
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »