Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
deence7
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-04-2005, 01:40 AM

Duke is gonna be a daddy

about a month ago i had duke outside in my yard......(duke is not neutered due to him swallowing a toy and having surgery...so he was not "Allowed to get fixed...he will be in june)well he was outside in my yard and he was "HOOKED" to the female boxer that lives accrosss the street from me..... well today we just found out that she is pregnant....and that the vet feels 7 puppies!!!! this is something that i did not want to happen and im taking full responsibality for it.......
but my question is....they just found out that the female has hook worms...can duke have them now??????? and advice would be great!.!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-04-2005, 05:14 AM
Hookworm eggs are passed in the faeces. The eggs hatch into larvae. The larvae can penetrate any part of the the dog's skin which has been in contact with the ground, eg, feet, belly. The dog can also be infested by ingesting soil in which larvae are pesent - either direct ingestion of soil or by licking soil from its feet, etc.

Hookworm can migrate to unborn puppies and a pregnant bitch needs regular deworming.

Hookworm can also infect humans.

It is possible that Duke may have picked up hookworm. Take a stool sample to the vet to be checked. Be sure to tell the vet that you have had an infected dog in your yard.

For detailed information see: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_hookworms.html
deence7
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-04-2005, 09:47 AM
yes i will do that .....thank you very much
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

23-04-2005, 09:57 AM
Happy to help Deence. I hope Duke is clear, but he will probably need to go on a wormer as a preventative.
deence7
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-04-2005, 02:59 PM
i give him heartguard...do you think that would be enough???or does that only protect against heartworm......he has been on heartguard since hes been 4 months.......and he will be 1 in may....
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

23-04-2005, 10:13 PM
Have a look on the packet Deence and see if it says that it protects against hookworm. If it doesn't say anything about hookworm then you are best to ask the vet which wormer Duke should be on.