View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 07:38 PM
I've always loved dogs but wasn't allowed one when I was small (my Dad just isn't an animal person) and when I left home my circumstances were never right, I really thought I was going to have to wait until I retired, but then I got made redundant...so although money is a bit tight I finally had the time for a dog.

My first love had been one of those push along dogs on wheels that looked like an Airedale and my OH and I love them but decided they were too big for our small house and small children. We were more than happy to take on a rescue pup but all the ones coming into our local rescue were staffy or collie crosses that we didn't have the confidence for.

The dog survey on another site suggested a Finnish Spitz and when I met one I fell in love again but further research made me think that they might not be the best choice for a novice.

So then we thought Lakeland Terrier, looks like an Airedale but smaller but we worried about the terrier temperament. So we finally got to the Schnauzer, terrier looks without the terrier temperament I read, perfect!

Except Pepper hadn't read that book, she's definitely all terrier, but extremely gorgeous (except when she's just rolled in something smelly ) and terrifically lovable (except when she's embarrassed me in the park with her selective deafness ) and was worth the wait and I can't imagine life without her!!!

J
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-12-2006, 07:45 PM
When I was younger , I used to walk my Aunt's ESS , Holly , every day after school. Then in my mid teens, my Dad came home from work one day and told us that a guy he worked with had a dog needing a home. So , Dougal , (Clan Chief Of Rossend) , the Gordon Setter became our first dog. He was lovely. I used to walk him for hours. As he was an ex show dog , he was very obedient but he never did learn to play. When I got a kitten , Cara , he didn't mind at all when she used to dangle from his ears , tail and the feathering on his legs. Sadly , he left us aged 12. The 6 years he spent with us were great and I would have another Gordon Setter if I had the space. Now , I have Missy , a very cheeky but extremely lovable Staffie. I like all dog breeds but the SBT was always one of my favourites. I knew I wanted one and that one day I would have one. In January , I was off work with depression. My doctor advised me to go out walking and the first thing I thought of was getting a dog. I made sure my Mum was happy with this first as it would not have been fair on her to get a dog if she wasn't happy. She agreed and I started looking . I spotted an ad in a paper for an 18 month old brindle Staffie bitch. My first reaction was " yes , my favourite breed AND colour" , but as I was feeling negative at the time , I decided there was no point calling as the dog would not be there anymore. This went on for 3 days then I phoned the number. She was still there ! The lady had turned other people down as they didn't sound like good owners ! Mum and I were invited to go and see her so we jumped in the car that night and drove off to West Calder. We chatted with the lady for nearly 2 hours before coming home , WITH the dog. That cheered me up a lot and soon after getting Missy , I was well enough to go back to work. She can be hard work at times , which is not a problem in the slightest. The number of times she makes us laugh in one day is unbelievable. She is a fantastic little dog who is very affectionate and full of so much character. Having Missy has changed my life for the better. SBT ; Simply The Best !
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 08:42 PM
I was brought up with Labs and BCs but I fell in love with giant breeds in a park in London aged 3 and the object of my affection was a Pyreneean Mountain Dog. I had my picture taken with it and I told everyone that I would have a dog like that one day. Some years later I saw the Newfoundlands on Crufts and they had all the size and beauty of the Pyrs but seemed even more special for some reason I couldn't put into words. ...

Fast forward quite a few years and I was finally in a position to get my own dog (having worn the OH down :lol) and the search for a Newf started. After several fruitless months, we decided to put the idea on the back burner for a while and have a little holiday. With all notion of a dog temporarily on hold, Shay landed in our lives.

Shay's story is not a particularly happy one. He was one of an accidental litter of Chow X Rottweiler. The owner of the Chow gave a pup to his sister for her children because the kids had fallen in love with the little fluffy puppy Sister was reluctant but kids insisted they would walk, feed train the pup etc so she relented and Shay (then named Popper) moved in next door to my parents. Several months down the line, the pup had grown from cute fluffy pup to big, boisterous adolescent and the novelty had long since worn off for the kids. Pup was relegated to the back yard 24/7 with no human attention or company, sleeping in a draughty shed withthe door propped open...not even a blanket or bedding to lie on My Mum told me about him and I was heartbroken for him so I told her to tell her neighbour that I'd have him if she didn't want him anymore. She jumped at the offer, saying that she kept meaning to hand him over to the pound but hadn't got around to it. We picked him up a week later, changed his name to Shay and we've had 2 very happy years so far

Lola was another accident of fate....

Having brought Shay into the household, all thoughts of a Newfie were on hold for a couple of years. Then, last May, I quite by chance saw an ad in a paper I never buy (it was being given away free in the canteen in work one day) for Newfoundland pups. I would normally never respond to a newspaper ad for puppies but something made me ring the number that day and it turned out that all the breeders enquiries for pups had been for black ones. There had only been three pups in the litter and just one of those was black so she had 2 little brown pups that needed homes....much cajoling of the OH ensued and he agreed to go JUST TO LOOK and, as we all know, that's fatal when it comes to puppies soooo....we brought Lola home 2 weeks later
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-12-2006, 10:28 PM
i grew up with a x he was similar to a setter so a medium build dog.
we got boxers fun loving good with kids all round dog.
so again a medium breed because we had 2 we said we would only have 1 dog in the future so we looked at other breeds, just because i couldn't bear losing another boxer like we did b (heart problems breed related to boxers)
so if you put 2 dogs at 30 odd kg each 1 was about 60kg range.
with all the dogs i grew up with and the fact the boxers are short coated i fancied a breed with longer fur etc, it eventually came down to a neffie or leo's.
i then met a leo at a local pub as i had already been looking into the breed and seeing him in the flesh and the way he was just confirmed it to me the next dog was going to be a leo.
ppl kept trying to put me off due to my size and that of a leo but i wouldn't have it.......just a bit stubborn.
so we got toby we then lost our other boxer ben,,,,,, going from 2 to 1 was too hard for me even with the 1 being a giant so holly joined the family.
they can be hard work but they are all i wanted big, loving, friendly, good with kids and very laid back.
the 2 breeds we have had/got suit us down to the ground and i would have another no regrets untill tobs nicked my t towel.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 02:05 AM
I own a CKCS, I have always loves cavvys. They are generally known as lap dogs and mine meets that expectation!! She is extremely loyal and very obedient. She is everything I ever wanted in a dog.

I also own a staffy x american bulldog. I got him from a friend who had an accidental mating. I have owned staffys before and love their nature and loyalty to their families. I did not have much knowllege of the american bulldog, but I researched into the breed before I took mine on. Both the american bulldog and the staffy are energetic dogs whos number one aim is the please their owner. I walk miles and miles everyday, and my CKCS doesnt like too longer walk so I was looking for a dog that would appreciate being walked for miles each day....and Georgie does just that

I love all dogs, yes I have my favourite breeds, but I have owned many breeds over the years so have gradually fallen in love with all dogs now
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 10:46 AM
My mum had greyhounds when we were young - but they lived in outside kennels.

My very own dog was a lovely ESS called Sabba she was a bit naughty but I loved her so much - she was a failed gundog given to me by a friend.

Sadly she got run over having escaped the garden - I didn't go to school for two days.

I then had a Heinz 57 called Shandy - again given to us by some people who had got him as a puppy and couldn't cope.

After I left home I didn't have a dog but shared a cat with my flatmate!

When I got together with my OH he had two Irish Setters, when we lost them due to old age we weren't going to get another dog as we were both heartbroken but six months later we did !

It was another Irish called Sasha, a year later we decided to get an English Setter called Jazz she was a tri-colour - we lost Jazz to cancer at 7 - we were all devasted - it was my eldest daughters first encouter with death too.

It took us 3 years to get over that loss and I couldn't think about another dog then my job was changing to working full time from home and my husband said - what about another dog - how about a Gordon - I think he didn't suggest an English due to losing Jazz.

Well having always had bitches we got a dog, Max - Gordon Setter extrodinaire!

We visited Max's breeder at Crufts the following year and fell back in love with the English - so Charlie joined us - an orange belton - I couldn't get another tri as the loss of Jazz was/is still hard.

Then two more Gordons joined us - Hamish (a friend happened to have a boy pup going so we said might be interested... well you know what might be means don't you) and Angus (who is a repeat mating from Max's parents).

Sacha my Irish is still plodding on and does love the boys mostly (aside when they are getting above themselves then she reminds them who the boss really is!)

I think I'm at my limit with 5 but never say never! Don't know what my next will be but you can guarantee it will be Setter - like Sheree says they are addictive !

Setters love to play, run, cuddle and sometimes they sleep!
p.s. (i do love pointers and spinones!)
petebren
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 01:01 PM
After losing our Goldie and Son getting married and taking his Springer with him we could not live without a dog, tried to, lasted two weeks! Doctor told me not advisable to have another dog in case it pulled I have spinal stenosis, so researched for weeks and came up with Japanese Spitz. They are not 1 year old, yep we got two, they are great company for both us and each other, have no doggy smell either very different from what we have had over the years but we love them love most breeds of dogs, xx
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Hi my name is shona and Im addicted to Rottweilers

I have owned 1 BC
1 GSD
1 bull mastiff
1 I bull mastiff I was asked to foster and assess for BM Rescue (still have loads of contact with her )
I now have 7 Rottweilers
I chose rotts as when I had looked for a GSD when Logan died I just could not find what I wanted the breed has changed a bit since I bought him and it just did not feel right for me anymore, mabey he just could not be replaced!
I looked into rotts, dobs, akitas but after fuffing around and doing alot of research I decided on rotts, I bought my first one and 18 month old male dog, the reason? I wanted a good family dog that was capable of coming to the stables at night with me (they are on a dark road and its only me its not a livery yard ) so some security for me, that was capable of doing some obedience, plodding along at the back of my horse when out riding, sane and sensible, and they just seemed to fit the bill, about 9 months later came rotty num 2 then about a year after that came 3 & 4 by that time it was an addiction and here I am some time down the line with 7, think I need some re-hab
can anyone tell me where the re-hab centre is?
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 02:32 PM
Don't ask me Shona, been looking for that place for years, ha ha.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Don't ask me Shona, been looking for that place for years, ha ha.
If I find it You will be the first to know, my luck the damn thing will be in Rotweil Germany
Page 4 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »