View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-12-2005, 12:47 AM

Snorri-dog's blood test results (epileptic dog clear of liver/kidney damage)

As part of his change to revamped epilepsy meds, Snorri-dog had to have a set of blood tests (mainly to check that prolonged use of phenobarb hadn't damaged his liver or kidneys, and to check the therapeutic levels of phenobarb in his bloodstream.)

The vet phoned us yesterday to tell us that everything is OK (phew!): his phenobarb levels are such that we have room to manoeuvre (i.e. increase dosage) if his current level of control fails. The recommended dosage for his weight is assessed at 30mg twice a day, but he is doing well and fit-free on 15mg twice a day (with consequent lower impact on his insides). Obviously, this is good news! Why pump him full of chemical crap if he doesn't need it? £72 was a hell of a price for the tests, but they have set my mind at rest

It's worth it to see he can carry on like THIS!

Snorri
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-12-2005, 12:49 AM
Aww, that's great news Sounds like he's doing just fine. I hope the new medication agreees with him.
He looks very happy there. Brandie has that hotdog toy too
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-12-2005, 12:52 AM
The daft thing is that his new med is the same thing as the old one - in a different packet (and 8x the price)

Snorri
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-12-2005, 12:55 AM
How annoying. poor thing having to go through all those tests for nothing. but at least you know they've not done him any harm

Merry christmas Snorri and Kali
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-12-2005, 01:07 AM
The worst bit was..... watching! To take the sample, the vet clips his leg hair to access the vein, just as he would to put Snorri-dog to sleep It's not pleasant, especially when your other dog (at home) is beginning to show signs of growing old

I don't think Snorri-dog enjoyed it much either (he tried to pull back), but I supplied a biscuit for the vet to give him, so that he would know they were still friends!

OK, so I'm daft as a brush, but my doggies do that to me!

Snorri
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-12-2005, 06:17 AM
One of my Shiba's was epileptic and was on Epiphen for all her life. I only ever saw one fit, and it's not something I would really like to see again. Sometimes chemicals are necessary, unfortunately, and we have to administer them so that our furry friends can lead a normal canine life. Roxy, my 9 year old, has just been diagnosed with hypo-thyroidism, so she is now on drugs for the rest of her life. Having just spent £175 getting the tests done, the price of the drugs - £3.14 for 30 (a months worth) seems so little, and I was pleasantly surprised.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2005, 09:33 AM
It is a lot of money, but at least you now have peace of mind - great news!

Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-12-2005, 09:41 AM
Great News Snorri
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2005, 11:25 AM
That's great news Snorri I hope he stays healthy and happy for many years to come
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-12-2005, 12:27 PM
He has been on the human version (Phenobarbitone) since the end of 2001, and has had only one fit in all that time - when, with vet agreement, we tried to wean him off the stuff - we'd met an epileptic brother who had "grown out of it" (it is possible, occasionally). A week after coming off the pheno, he had a fit at 4 a.m., so he started taking it again, but only at half the dosage. He has been A1 ever since - lively, alert, noisy and fast (just as he ought to be!?). The Epiphen is exactly the same drug, just the "licenced version", but twice the dose. I've bought a pill-cutter to split them (much easier than trying to cut the tiny pills with a razor blade - and safer for my fingers!). It's all a bit of a hassle, but worth it to know the wee boy is going to be OK!

Once you've seen your dog have a fit, you never forget it - it's horrible to watch!

Snorri
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >