Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GitaBooks
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-12-2016, 02:56 AM

Dog ate rotten eggs

We have a 90 lb senior Goldendoodle named Rax who got into some old chicken eggs this morning. We had collected them from a hidden nest, so some may have been rotten. We collected probably 20 or so, possibly more. We're not sure how many he ate, but he has been sick since this morning and has been getting worse. He throws up yellow, gooey, smelly stuff, has terrible gas that smells in the entire house, is bloated and very uncomfortable and in pain. He won't stand up to use the bathroom, but is drinking some water. He has his neck stretched out but isn't willing to lay down or sit up.

I'm worried that is it something more than a painful upset stomach that will pass in a day. What else can we do to help him?

Thank you so much
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2016, 09:50 AM
Bloating is a serious symptom. I would see a vet straight away!
DoggieBloggie
New Member!
Female 

13-12-2016, 07:17 PM
I agree, I think you should go to the vet, better to be safe then sorry!
GitaBooks
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-12-2016, 06:09 PM
Rax seemed to be doing better after using the bathroom, but today he was doing poorly so we took him to the vet and got him some fluids and antibiotics. Turns out he may have Pancreatitis from the richness of the eggs and is in severe pain from it (hints the labored breathing and the fact he won't stand anymore). He is on supportive care here at home and being treated for his vomiting and diarrhea. We're not sure if he will make it, but at least we know what we're dealing with.

Thank you so much for the answers! Pray for our handsome senior doggy.
GitaBooks
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-12-2016, 09:42 PM
He past away just a few minutes ago, peacefully, with his best friend (my brother) beside him. We had laid him near the fire-place and he seemed very calm. We're going to bury him today, out in the frozen ground. I'm not sure how to react currently, I'm very sad but wondering when he would pass was just so hard.
Our friend, who is a vet, thinks he had an underlying problem. It's nice to know the eggs didn't end his life early, that it was his time. But he was just so happy a few days earlier. At least he didn't have to suffer long.

Thank you for your prayers.

Rest in God's hands Rax. I look forward to seeing you again one day, bouncing around like a puppy in the fields as you always use to.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-12-2016, 10:19 PM
Sorry to hear this, run free Rax
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-12-2016, 12:58 AM
So sorry. He is pain free now. I hope you will walk with Rax again someday.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

15-12-2016, 01:36 AM
Blimey.

I read this when you first posted but it was late and I didn't comment.

I've been through the horror of bloat in the small hours and whilst some of the symptoms you described rang true - whilst possible - I was sceptical as to whether eggs (even 20 of them) would be the cause of a GDV / bloat episode in a 90lb dog.

Whatever took him away from you I'm glad you consulted your vet and he went away peacefully.

Run free Rax.