View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tedsui
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-09-2016, 07:59 AM
Hi Meg, We were told by rescue (November 2015) on adopting our Border Collie Sky, that she was between 5 and 7, on visiting a new vet to the practice on Friday I asked what age she thought she was. Her answer was about 9, maybe 10 so we are really unsure. She was being fed Arden Grange Chicken and Rice which is what I've kept her on as it seems to be a very good, and highly recommended food. Like you in kennels, we used Kaolin & Morphine at the vets for diarrohea problems, but as I said earlier, you cannot purchase this now, which is why I was wondering about Children's Kaolin. Sky goes for weeks with good solid motions and then we have 3 or 4 days of loose mucousy stools, which is why I'm thinking of getting something ready for the next occasion.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-09-2016, 09:41 AM
Hi Sue, the symptons you describe for Sky are almost identical to our Casey (Also a rehomed dog from the club welfare)

In the past I have used 'Canikur' (made by Boehringer Ingelmen) a pack of 12 tablets about £9 on line.

It works fine but like you say the problem comes back after a week or two so (as Meg mentioned) it is just a tempory solution,not really a cure.

I also have a personal theory (Which my wife doesn't agree with ) that one or two scrambled eggs in the food helps, I have tried this many times and although I have no statistical evidence (In other words I was too lazy to write down the days and what the poo was like next day) I still have that feeling it did help.

The human diareah tablets Imodium have also been suggested, again they worked but problem came back and the instructions specifically say to not take too many.

All in all it looks like a diet problem, and some expensive and well known makes are not necessarily going to fix it. Casey was on a cheap make and not too good, am now giving him Winalott (Chicken, beef etc. in jelly) and also the shapes, he seems to like it. He gets cooked turkey meat and chicken necks as well.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2016, 10:30 AM
vetuk for logic paste is best. Use it for my collie that has sometimes a poorly tum.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2016, 07:32 PM
I think this can be the most frustrating of things. When we got Cassie from welfare she was born March 2006 no real history of health, we got her in March 2015 and since we have had about 3 or 4 bouts of upset tummy loose mucusy sort of bowel movements lasts about 3-4 days. But causes her major distress because she seems to need to go then goes. So have had a few accidents in the kitchen overnight even with me setting the alarm every 3 hours.
This is back again about our 4th time, given her nothing since it started Wed morning Tuesday night. Starved her Wed (quite a few loose motions) during day, nothing Thursday (couple loose motions) and nothign today till tonight plain white fish and a bit of rice. See how she goes.

She is fine for months on end, then boom. Any suggestions she is even with this more than fine in herself. No sickness or anything, just unable to hold on and loose motions.

Sorta thinking she has had this all her life, we have never punished or raised voices at her and just clear up and move on.
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-11-2016, 05:54 PM
As it is every few weeks, I suspect it is either her cycle, but I suspect as a rescue she is nutered? Or more likely that she has a bit of a worm burden. The dodgy tummy would coincide with the cycle of the parasites cycle.

The Arden Grange described worked well for a sensitive tummy dog I had. The other alternative is she been fed on something else occasionally, such as a treat? One of mine cannot tolerate Dentastix as it gives him the squits.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2