Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Blackthorns
New Member!
Female 

09-09-2016, 12:03 AM

Diet help? Best commercial food?

Hey I'm new obviously, and although I've had dogs since I was 4, I've just recently been trying to improve my dog and his life-he is being registered as an ESA, and our housing is a little shaky so he needs to be better behaved.
That being said, upon researching etc I found out that the normal dog chow is indeed not a good diet in the slightest- I was raised feeding that to the dogs, so I always assumed it was fine.
Now I'm realizing it's not a great food-and could cause him issues as he ages. Keep in mind that my family is poor and my dog is a fox/rat terrier kinda mutt, so he doesn't eat a whole lot.
That being said, what is the best food I could ever buy him within a reasonable price? ($50 is about the most I could do, and it'd have to be well over 10 lbs)
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2016, 11:16 AM
Here in the UK there are several options and types of feeding systems you could use.

A lot depends on our personal circumstances doesn't it. You want to do the best for your dog within the scope of what you can afford. I get that.

Lots of people recommend raw feeding, are you in an area where you could hunt raw food for your dog? That would be free!

In the UK a cost effective budget option would be Chappie, but I don't know if you have that in Wisconsin?

Update the thread with what you, yourself have in mind and we'll take it from there....
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-09-2016, 03:53 PM
Raw feeding is a very economical way of feeding, I have 5 very large dogs, and I have food delivered about every 6 weeks for my freezer, works out about £60 to feed them all for that period of time, about what you find people pay for a sack of kibble for one dog, but obviously a lot healthier for them. I also buy white fish, tinned fish and frozen chicken, I never use grains at all but grate and steam various root veg and mix that with their food.
Blackthorns
New Member!
Female 

22-09-2016, 07:08 AM
Sorry for the long wait on a reply.
We can hunt, but not only do we not own the gear, but I'm also a huge baby and would cry at even seeing a deer die. I'm a wimp, I know. Raw diets honestly gross me out so I was hoping that there's a good kibble brand? I know to stay away from Blue Buffaloe but I'm not sure about anything else as everything I can find has really mixed reviews
Ms. M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-09-2016, 09:33 AM
One of my dog been diagnosed of diabetic so we need to change his food to a proper diet, thankful because with the help of my friends and also asking my vet this information about balanced diet for dogs I find more helpful information there about the right balanced diet for dog hope it will help your situation too.