Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-08-2015, 08:49 PM

Not eating a variety of things.

I have Sammy on a raw diet at the moment but he will only eat tripe and chicken, sardines in tomato sauce, yoghurt and boiled eggs. He won't eat other meats like rabbit and beef, neither will he eat potatoes or rice or any vegetables.

He loves cooked chicken for treats and will eat tripe sticks but I'm concerned this isn't enough variety for him.

Would I be better putting him back on Chappie? Any help would be much appreciated.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2015, 02:53 AM
Others will have to advise you, I don't know from raw. But maybe like some humans, some dogs might be just more adventurous in their eating than others. Sophie eats her usual kibble and treats, human yogurt and ice cream and that is basically all she consumes. Callie eats his regular food plus fruits, vegetables, he's almost a complete omnivore. Just today he discovered avocado. Maybe it depends on the pup?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-08-2015, 07:58 AM
None of mine have veg or rice as part of their diet and one was allergic to Rabbit. Lots of dogs eat a very restricted diet due to allergies. Mine eat pretty much anything tbh but the only reason they have rice is to clean the saucepan before it goes in the dishwasher. I've stopped feeding beef as it became really expensive and tough as old boots, would have been cheaper to feed human grade minced beef.
My lots diet consists of predominantly chicken, then tripe, venison, heart, duck, rabbit, pilchards, cottage cheese etc they have lambs liver when I remember to defrost it which isn't often. The venison will get dropped shortly due to price too. I wouldn't go back to dried from choice I'd look for alternatives to what he won't eat.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2015, 09:02 AM
Thanks Lovemybull and Trouble, I hadn't thought about dogs on restricted diets who do well. I'll add in pilchards and cottage cheese see if he'll eat them and search around for other stuff. He's doing so well on the raw that it seems a shame to put him back on dried stuff.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-08-2015, 09:15 AM
Why are you feeding potato? I don't feed rice, but do grate and steam a variety of vegetables and mix with their meat.
Have you tried bio yogurt, I look in the reduced section of Asda for things, also there is frozen white fish which is cheap, tinned fish, you say sardines, but there's also pilchards, mackerel and tuna. Mine have tripe, minced chicken carcass and tripe, minced turkey carcass, they still have minced venison trim. Due to cost I no longer feed beef or lamb. Pigs kidney is cheap still and so is liver. Chicken wings have gone expensive but you can get a big bag of chicken drumsticks for £3 from Iceland, which will last your dog a long time and is probably more than the equivalent of one meal for him.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

27-08-2015, 10:18 AM
I must admit I used to feed more variety than I currently do but some things just became too expensive and others the dogs would turn their nose up at. Kidney is one they didn't like so in order to get them to eat it I lightly cooked it in garlic and they scoffed it lol, so I'm either too busy or lazy for that these days. Liver is another, they love lambs liver from Tesco but anything the dog food guy supplies which is probably pig or ox they won't touch. Trouble is I store it in my freezer rather than the dogs freezer and they only have it when I remember. They do love Ox heart though. Tongue is another odd one they will eat it minced but even Diesel my Staffie struggles with a whole one, he gives it back covered in teeth marks but it's still whole. How about pigs trotters? I swear the last ones I had still had half the leg attached lol.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2015, 10:37 AM
Tawneywolf I just tried him with potato as I've heard of people adding that to their diets, it was some cooked leftovers from me, did same with rice and pasta but he wouldn't eat any. Typical male likes his meat I do give him the bio yoghurt. I forgot about white fish yes he does eat that, doesn't like tuna for some reason. I'll try other tinned fish as well. I have liver in freezer so when I have it will try him with some. Sammy's only small so tend to give him half a chicken wing but now he's used to them will try him with a whole one. I just buy from Asda, 10 for £2.99 He probably doesn't eat in a week what your 5 eat in a day

I have packs of beef from the supplier in the freezer which he won't eat I might just quickly zap in the micro or fry for 2-3 seconds as there's no bone in it see if he'll take it that way. It's a local supplier and I have to say there stuff is so fresh I feel I could eat it myself.

Trouble not sure where I'd get pigs trotters from. I don't eat much meat myself so never use the butchers and when I was there a couple of times when I had Lana I didn't find them very helpful.

I could get day old chicks from the suppliers but think I would cry over them so can't see me buying them.

Thanks for your help you've given me more ideas on what to try. After reading about all the things you should give for a varied diet I was worried he wasn't getting enough variety.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

27-08-2015, 10:42 AM
My dog food bloke chucks stuff in at random lol that's where the pigs trotters came from.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-08-2015, 11:56 AM
I got trotters from morrisons - he didnt eat them
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-08-2015, 12:07 PM
Some don't like some foods, mine won't touch a pigs head, they will eat trotters though. Like people everyone is different and it is a process of trial and error.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >