View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
#loveofpaws
New Member!
Female 

17-04-2014, 09:06 PM

Need desperate help!! puppy keeps bloating!!

I have had a labradoodle puppy for 2 weeks now, breeder said he was on alpha went everywhere to find this food and couldn't get it so changed him gradually to wainwrights salmon and potato! After having the puppy 2 days we found out he had a severe bladder infection (now on antibiotics) few days later we have ended up at the vets emergency out of hours as his stomach bloated right up, iv wormed him, flead him etc and his infection is well under control! I'm feeding little and often as recommended by the vet, and have bought an anti gulp bowl to slow him down.
Can someone please help whether it's the food? Or can anyone recommend what's bloating him and better food s if anyone has been in my shoes!!!
Any advice will be appreciated! I'm a nervous wreck every time he eats!!!
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-04-2014, 09:21 PM
My breed is prone to it and I have always.... Waited an hour after feeding to exercise /. Not fed until an hour after exercise. Same goes for lots of water. I'd prob try soaking the wainwright to see how much it swells although I think wainwright so doesn't swell much ( salmon n pot variety anyway. Anything with peas in makes my boy v windy so maybe worth a check. It's a cheaper protein

Any signs straight to the vet no messing.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-04-2014, 09:23 PM
When did u worm pre or post bloat? If he's on antibiotics perhaps the assault on his stomach flora has contributed

Is he pooing ok?
#loveofpaws
New Member!
Female 

17-04-2014, 09:28 PM
Well the lady said she had wormed him with drontal the day before we bought him but iv rewormed him since after bloat just to make sure!
He has another 2 days left on his antibiotics he's been on them a week today,
His poo is absolutely fine not runny or anything!
#loveofpaws
New Member!
Female 

17-04-2014, 09:31 PM
I was also soaking the wainwrights at first which iv now been giving them dry has he's eating them slower and chewing them but he still went abit bloated this evening but after a sleep it has gone down!
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2014, 10:14 PM
What are his poos like? The reason I ask is that when I fed Pets at Home Salmon & Potato to my dog (not a puppy), his motions were very firm - almost verging on constipated. I'm currently feeding Wainwrights Grain free with cooked meat and veggies, and his motions are still firm, but darker and softer.
If your puppy been on antibiotics, have you thought of using a probiotic to restore gut flora? You could try Yakult or Actimel if he's OK with milky meals, or one of the canine preps. Yumpro, FortiFlora or Protexin which may be more suitable.
#loveofpaws
New Member!
Female 

17-04-2014, 10:38 PM
Ooh I'd never heard of them will go have a look tomorrow thanks! I may take the bag back to pets at home too and see what they suggest! Do u think turkey and rice would Maybe make any difference to salmon and potato?
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2014, 11:18 PM
I can't be sure, but perhaps they could advise you which would be the most gentle for a puppy with a very sensitive gut. If you decide to change his food, be careful how you do it - his little tum has had a lot to cope with in the last 2 weeks.

If you can't find the probiotics locally, try your vet or the net. Best wishes to him.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2014, 01:03 AM
Another thought, what about the Wainwright puppy trays? Being a wet complete food, it shouldn't swell in his tummy.
#loveofpaws
New Member!
Female 

18-04-2014, 08:15 AM
Yeah that's a thought! Wev always stuck with dry cos our other 2 eat dry, I Googled it last night n thought about maybe looking at James well beloved as it seems to be more natural than wainwrights ( well reviews say so) and it's down similar lines! My other 2 used to be fab on that n I only changed cos we moved it was harder to get!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >