Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 07:29 PM
ermm I dont know cos round here we only really get 3 types

dogs offlead and under no type of control at all
dogs onlead
Or dogs offlead who race about, charge up to mine and then at the last sec are grabbed from under my dogs noses and clipped on the lead

Had an interesting lady at the beach today with a 11 month old little daft lap dog type

HE was offlead but the other side of the beach so I called mine to me, then the lady come walking in my direction so I figured it OK to let my pair go and say hello

she let them all get within about 2 feet then she started trying to call her dog - but of course at this point no way was a puppy going to come back
She cried out 'yours are HUNTING dogs - arnt they??'
I replied no they were collie crosses

She then relaxed and said 'thats OK all collies are kind'

interesting!
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-06-2011, 07:48 PM
In any of the three cases I will try to keep Cookie under control, often just call him and clip him on, as some dogs are just too much fun for him to stay away from. But often where walk if the dog is off lead they are already on their way to great Cookie. I have to say I don't get many with OTT dogs, and those which are Cookie puts in their place on my command.
Ben some people are just a little over protective, especially with little dogs around bigger dogs. Doesn't make it right but I can understand it.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-06-2011, 07:59 PM
a) Other dogs off lead and running about but owner gives you a wide berth and calls their dogs away.

Depends where I am TBH. If I am down by the river, on the dog run, and there are dogs off lead, then I don't put mine on. It is the local "dog run free" area, and if anyone doesn't want their dog mixing, there are plenty of place round here to walk a dog and not meet another. Mine usually wouldn't bother them anyway unless the other dog came over.

b) Dogs off lead but brought under owners control (eg made to walk to heel).

I'd control mine, lead if needed,

c) Dogs off lead but made to sit whilst you pass.

Again, I would control mine, and put them on a lead, as Jake can be skittish, which isn't fair on the other dog.
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-06-2011, 08:16 PM
It's for these reasons, that I only allow Luke offlead in a fenced in field at the park, or way out in the woods somewhere where I know no other dogs go. Because...his recall when he sees another dog he wants to meet isn't the greatest right now....two, I can't always tell from far away if the dog approaching is male/female and I can't run nearly as fast as LUke lol....
If someone opened up the gate of the park we go to and let their dog in when I'm there with Luke...I would give them a piece of my mind. You do not let your dog approach ANY dog, until you have spoken to the owners and ascertained the personality of each dog. Your dog might be fine with males, mine isn't. My dog might play gentle, yours might be too rough, causing a fight. You can't know that just by looking. BUT as I've said before..Im super cautious when it comes to Luke and other dogs. For one, I can't afford thousands of dollars in vet bills over a fight.. two...I am a wuss.:P
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Even if I wasnt dog savvy and was one of these numpty owners if anybody walking their dog did a, b or c then i'd realise they were trying to keep other dogs at arms length, it doesnt take a genius to work it out surely? It's a matter of manners and respect which seems to be lacking unfortunately.

I dont mind my dogs mixing, Jed is very social and it seems unfair sometimes to keep him away from other dogs but i've just come across too many troublesome kinds and it's not worth the hassle IMO. Then I have trouble with Flynn who isnt aggressive but is reactive and takes offence at dogs of similar size or bigger, male dogs (both traits of a male GWP i've been reliably informed), bouncy dogs, dogs who interrupt etc. He's all mouth and i'm pretty sure he wouldnt actually bite but it just takes the wrong dog to be on the receiving end for trouble to start. Some dogs may take a warning growl as a challenge rather than back down.

Flynn was wearing his "NO DOGS" collar the other night at training and I was asked why he was wearing it, then I was informed that dogs cant read. True, but I hope their owners can. Sarcastic comments like that irritate me.

Seems like all of us on here understand the message going out in the situations in my first post, I just cant understand why other people walk around in cloud cuckoo land.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 09:14 PM
I get annoyed when people let their off-lead dogs charge up to on-lead Cherry. My (non-doggy person but getting there) husband says he can understand them doing this as their dog is friendly so they think everybody else's is too.
He says it is only because we have a dog with issues that we consider WHY other people may have their dog leashed and react accordingly.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Flynn was wearing his "NO DOGS" collar the other night at training and I was asked why he was wearing it, then I was informed that dogs cant read. True, but I hope their owners can. Sarcastic comments like that irritate me.
Mine's rapidly learning to spell - can't USE the word walkies, can't spell it out now as he's starting to click onto that one as well! He's getting all edumacated.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 10:19 PM
a) Other dogs off lead and running about but owner gives you a wide berth and calls their dogs away.b)

Dogs off lead but brought under owners control (eg made to walk to heel).c)

Dogs off lead but made to sit whilst you pass.

OK I have strange dogs because ours have absolutely no interest in other dogs.

However to answer the question

1) I would pressume the owner knows something about his/her dog that I didn't so I would call mine 'away'

2) Mine would just walk straight past and be under my control

3) I would do the same
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 10:32 PM
I would try and get mine out of the way if possible, but they are not perfect and don't always listen. I tend to go by the unwritten rule that if a dog is on lead and I don't know them, I try not to let mine go near. If they are off lead, they are free to meet. I would say if the owner chooses to keep their dogs off lead, people are going to assume they are ok to meet.

I would maybe think about putting them on a lead if they have issues with other dogs, Leanne. Most people are not going to "get" that you giving someone the wide birth with your dogs still running around is a clue that you don't want them to meet. At least if they are put back on lead the signal is a bit more obvious.

I don't think the average joe will understand the "NO DOGS" collar thing, either. I would imagine that most would think it was some kind of fashion accessory.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 06:18 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I would try and get mine out of the way if possible, but they are not perfect and don't always listen. I tend to go by the unwritten rule that if a dog is on lead and I don't know them, I try not to let mine go near. If they are off lead, they are free to meet. I would say if the owner chooses to keep their dogs off lead, people are going to assume they are ok to meet.

I would maybe think about putting them on a lead if they have issues with other dogs, Leanne. Most people are not going to "get" that you giving someone the wide birth with your dogs still running around is a clue that you don't want them to meet. At least if they are put back on lead the signal is a bit more obvious.

I don't think the average joe will understand the "NO DOGS" collar thing, either. I would imagine that most would think it was some kind of fashion accessory.
Good post i agree with everything said here, if you are very dog savvy then maybe you would get a b and c but if a dogs offlead i end to assume its ok with other dogs. If i see a dog on lead then i put mine on lead. I'd like to think if a dog is not good with others or the owner doesn't want them to meet other dogs they should be on a lead.
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »