Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Hi ADAM

Many thanks for your comments. The head collar does tend to stop the lunging, albeit not his desire *to* lunge...
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
I'd be careful about using a body harness or headcollar.

Both work by making the lunging uncomfortable,Adam
How completly & utter & hilariously ironic
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Headcollars and harness are good kind methods to use.
A small word of warning - some people will try to persuade you that using cruel and painful methods and equipment will help you. These people generally have a financial interest in telling you this. Either that or they are the sort of people who believe it is OK to use electric shocks and spiked collars to cause pain so the dog is so afraid it doesn`t pull. Adam Palmer is one of these people.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 10:24 AM
CLAIRE&DAISY

Thanks

I gather there is an ongoing debate on this forum re the use of E Collars? It's not something I would ever use on any dog, nor would I ever use a prong collar etc. But I appreciate your warning
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
HI SARA 'N' SCOUT:

You may be right in suggesting that 'popping' the lead is making it worse; it's certainly not helping. So I think I will follow the advice kindly given by you and a few others and stop using my voice as I'm sure I get shrill when Dex lunges...

Re harness - I have four different brands here. None of them have managed to stop Dex lunging. I dislike using a head collar but at present there is no choice, as I have to keep us both safe.

That said, I'm now looking at trying the Mekuti Harness as recommended by people in this forum, and I really hope that might help...
I just use a cloth martingale collar on all 5 of my dogs, not for teaching not to pull, but for safety (they cant pull out of them) I tried a head collar on Oliver, but he focused so much on the horrid thing on his face , he had a hard time focusing on me . He is now trained not to pull in normal circumstances, but the lunging still happens when he is reacting. but Ollie's reactions are fear based and aggressive.

Head collars can do serious damage to a dog's neck if not used correctly. even a lunge at the full 6' length of the leash can do damage to muscles and ligaments, so make sure when using it, your dog is kept on a short leash, so his head doesn't get snapped around. I've seen people using Halti's on a retractable... I had a very hard time not asking the people if they were trying to kill their dog.

I think you will do just fine with your boy. I agree with teaching him self control, he is just a boisterous lab teenager, so self control is a very hard thing You've had some very good advice from people on here
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 11:37 PM
SARA 'N' SCOUT

Many thanks for that advice, I will make sure the lead is shorter when using the head collar. And I totally agree with you - I would *never* combine a head collar with a retractable lead!!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 07:08 PM
AH! I remembered the name of the Harness. It was Hi-Control by Hi-craft. There is another one that is called Hi-control but its totally different, its the Hi-craft one he has. I will look around and see if I can find it online.

Edit; ok it seems that it is now called the Kumfi Complete Control Harness. After looking around I think maybe they had to change names....
Heres a link for you; http://www.kumfi.com/index.php?page=...rt&Itemid=8you will see the top photo of the bullmastiff wearing it how mine did in training (one clip on the chest centrepiece and one end clipped to one of the back points)
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 09:52 PM
DOBERMANN:

Thanks so much, that's really kind of you

I'm going to follow that link right now and take a look and will no doubt order one

Many thanks indeed!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 09:57 PM
DOBERMANN:

Superb. Just what I am looking for - love the way it can be used with the double ended lead as reins, I suspect that will do the trick nicely for me

Thanks so much, am going to order one!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2010, 07:13 PM
No problem Tabitha. I thought the best way was to only put tension on one end of the lead or the other at a time (basically steering him in the right direction)

Hope you find it as helpful as I did!!
(personally I think that harness is a godsend )
Page 7 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7