Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kayejacqueline
New Member!
Female 

16-10-2010, 12:32 PM

Mucus in poo

I have a ten yr old min yorkie, and on several occasions he suffers with a gurgley tummy and mucus/jelly poos! this happens maybe 1 or 2x a month. could this be colitus? if so what do I avoid giving him to eat ? His diet is Eukonuba in a.m. and teatime has chicken and a few small bite mixer. I cannot think what causes it as it only happens occasionaly!
suew
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Sounds very much like mild IBS to me. We had a dog with the same condition, and our vet said that the gurgly tum, meant it definately was. (Along with the mucous and frequent diarrhoea episodes)
We switched him to a gluten free diet (as our subsequent dogs now have also), and it helped enormously. Our vet also recommended Buscopan tablets when his tum was particularly gurgly, and again, they were very good. You can buy these over the counter, but I would recommend you see the vet first, as a yorkie is somewhat smaller than a patterdale terrier, so I would be concerned the buscopan whole tablet was too strong. Eukunaba is a very rich food by the way ,so may be just a bit too rich for your yorkie? Try James Wellbeloved kibble, additive and gluten free, or maybe Burns kibble. Hope your yorkie feels better soon!
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2010, 02:09 PM
Would get him checked by vet and agree with trying a gluten free, low fat/protein food. Maybe try turkey(skinless) instead of chicken as is lower in fat. I am interested to know about the buscopan too, a friend who used to be a vet nurse also mentioned it. Hope his stomach probs sort out soon, Good luck.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by kayejacqueline View Post
I have a ten yr old min yorkie, and on several occasions he suffers with a gurgley tummy and mucus/jelly poos! this happens maybe 1 or 2x a month. could this be colitus? if so what do I avoid giving him to eat ? His diet is Eukonuba in a.m. and teatime has chicken and a few small bite mixer. I cannot think what causes it as it only happens occasionaly!
Hi Kay, there can be are a number of reasons for mucus in poo including worms and stress , are you up to date with worming.

I have to say Eukanuba would not be my first choice of a dog food, apart from ethical considerations which I won't go into some of their products contain wheat/ maize/barley which some dogs can't tolerate.
This is is one of their the adult foods ..
Ingredients
Chicken (>24%), maize, wheat, animal fat, sorghum, barley, poultry meal, dried beet pulp, chicken digest, dried whole egg, brewer's dried yeast, potassium chloride, salt, sodium hexametaphosphate, fish oil, linseed, DL-methionine. [for < 10 kg] Contains EC permitted antioxidants. [for >= 10 kg] Contains EC permitted antioxidants: tocopherols.
I bet if you try a raw based diet (if you can't do it yourself try Natural Instinct or Darlings, both have websites) or a quality complete food like Fish4dogs the problems may well disappear.
welshpoodles
New Member!
Female 

16-10-2010, 07:47 PM
What on earth is chicken digest?

Never heard of it before, doesn't sound too appealing either
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2010, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
....there can be are a number of reasons for mucus in poo including worms and stress , are you up to date with worming...
Definitely do worm for tapeworms, if you haven't done so in the last few weeks.

Merlin is prone to jelly poo, so when we moved a couple of months ago I wasn't surprised when it re-appeared, which I put down to stress.

But it kept on longer than I'd have thought, so I changed his diet - still no result. Eventually one day I found lots of immature tapeworms in his poo - NO signs at all whatsoever beforehand!! not even the 'grains of rice' often quoted in articles and books.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive to worm a dog with jelly poo - as you think it might upset their tummy more - but I would certainly do so in the future now.

He had 3 days of Panacur and after the first dose a humungous tapeworm was expelled - it must have been there for ages with absolutely no symptoms. One of the most revolting things I have ever seen! I will not be able to eat noodles for months now....

I also wormed my cat at the same time - important to remember - and thoroughly de-flea'd as well (tapeworms are carried by fleas).

I guess it depends where you live, have never had issues with tapeworms before, but then it is years since I last owned a dog and lived in a rural area. They are much less common in urban areas.