Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I can see that with some dog's issues it would be advisable to rehome them to someone where they would not be left and have time for a person to deal with the dog's emotional/behavioural issues but a blanket ban on workers adopting dogs seems ridiculous.

If I did not work (part-time) there is no way I could afford to keep my dogs!
I agree. And frankly; even for people that don't work at all - they surely don't stop at home all day either??

My husband is retired (a lot older than me!) so he doesn't work - but funnily enough we do go shopping, go out to places sometimes where Whisper wouldn't be able to go (like B&Q today!) so she is left on her own for 2 hours or more. Even though we have very little 'social life' - on occasion we have gone to weddings and other events where again; Whisper has been left for 4 hours or more.

So saying no dog should be left for 4 hours is a bit silly. A lot of people simply must leave the house for that amount of time on a fairly regular basis even when they don't work!

And we are one of those couples who really do take their dog pretty much everywhere we can - but she does still get left on her own from time to time for 2 hours +! Unless you are going to shop for absolutely everything on-line, go nowhere, do nothing other than walk the dog I think pretty much everyone must have to leave their dog for some amount of time.

So to be so strict seems a bit daft really.

I buy Whisper's food, supplements and various other things with my earnings...... although husband helps out the fact that I work makes a big difference in terms of the quality of food I can afford to buy her etc. Which I feel improves her quality of life.

Hope you find the right dog for you soon xx
Pepsandimax
New Member!
Female 

23-07-2012, 09:46 PM
I adopted a dog from many Tears last October, I had previously given up even considering a recue dog because the one near me makes it so difficult. I was put on to MT by a friend who adopted a dog having just left hospital after a 7 month stay. MT could not have been more helpful, and I was very specific in my own mind I said collie x female between 1 and 3 on the form ( meaning mainly black with a small amount of white crossed with a whippet/lurcher/lab) and not really fluffy) but the ones they had in thyat i was interested in were skitish around wheelchairs and I use a mobility scooter to walk my dogs and for going out locally. I started to become dispondent and they were extremely encouraging and helpful finally suggesting a puppy. I was shocked as I did not expect any rescue to let a disabled person have a collie x puppy as they need very active homes, and also because puppies are more sought after. I have had my lovely girl ever since. I think if the opening poster had filled out the application form after reading the website carefully as I did she would have had a very different experience. MT staff are passionate about finding the right home for their dogs and if you watch the website you will see even with their checks several dogs each month are still returned. Dogs trust I have also heard are equally flexable and in reality as dog lovers none of us want to see an already traumatized dog rejected and returned. MT have guidelines but do realise that each dog and each adopter is an individual. The oter point i think you may be unaware about is that with MT once a dog is in foster care the aplication form is sent to the foster home and it is the people who are fostering who actually make the decision, not MT itself. I do hope you have now found the dog you were looking for. I dont have a six foot fence or a lock on the front gate as suggested as a reason for rejection by another poster, again I think this is about the individual home checker, and the specific requirements suggested by the foster home for certain dogs. I have working friends who have adopted from MT since me who have been turned down by other rescues in the past, and i really cant emphasise enough the time taken to read the whole web site and then filling in the application form (initially in a generic way) really it shows you want another dog and not that you are reacting to a pictue of a dog.
Page 7 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7