Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
I know of a few people that have a largish plot of land, they walk their dog or dogs around that land, they never meet any other dogs. These people are retired, never had children so no grandchildren to come across either. I can name 3 people with English/Irish setters that live like that, so it is possible, if they were willing to take the risk.
Well, even taking aggressive dogs out of the equation, I still think this is an unusual circumstance for the vast majority of people. The average dog owner doesn't own enough land to exercise their dog in and therefore never having to walk it in public.

If a home like that could be found for the dog in question, I would gladly eat my hat. I personally think though that is a 'living in dream world' outcome...JMHO.
madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 04:36 PM
I completely understand what you are saying labradork but surely if the dog was lunging and wanted to grab the child he would have done so when he had the chance, i would just rather the dog that has been with her for just 4 or 5 weeks gets a full assesment before being pts - but i understand other peoples views that the dog is dangerous and should be pts no questions asked.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Well, even taking aggressive dogs out of the equation, I still think this is an unusual circumstance for the vast majority of people. The average dog owner doesn't own enough land to exercise their dog in and therefore never having to walk it in public.

If a home like that could be found for the dog in question, I would gladly eat my hat. I personally think though that is a 'living in dream world' outcome...JMHO.
But I'm just saying that homes like that do exist...you didn't seem to think they do, and I'm not saying that a home like that would become available for this particular dog..but they are out there for some lucky dog (s).

If she takes the dog to the vet and finds out there is a reason to his behaviour, I'm not saying she should keep him, we all know that would be wrong, but at least he may have a chance of life rather than just having him pts without investigating why he attacked..surely he deserves a check up at least?

If the vet finds he has a brain tumour or similar, at least she can have him pts with a clear conscience.

If I heard of an English Setter behaving in this manner and the owner being told to have him pts just like that, no questions asked, I would be beside myself with grief, I don't know this dog but I just feel so sorry for him, he is outside wagging his tail at his owner, he obviously doesn't realise he has done anything wrong.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 05:06 PM
My friend's dog bit her badly on the hand unprovoked when she went to hold his collar. She was going to have him pts, but her trainer advised her to take him to the vet. She did and found that he had an underactive thyroid and one of the symptoms is aggression. He is now on medication and his temperament has stabilised. As others have said, hair loss on the flanks is also a symptom of thyroid problems and I'm sure I read somewhere that Dobes are prone to this. I'd get him checked first, blood tests etc. and if there is a problem, rehome him. If a home cannot be found, maybe pts would be the best option, as he clearly shouldn't live with kids, just in case.
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Hi,

what a terribly sad situation for all involved!!! I hope the little boy is ok and quickly comes into contact with non-agressive dogs in order to prevent him becoming scared of all dogs!

As for the poor dog, I recall reading that he has scars on his back, and that at the time of the attack the little boy was stroking his back... Personally I would link these two facts when wondering what happened and wondering how to help the dog... If in all other people related situations he is fine, I would adress the back issue... obviously it literally hits a nerve stemming back to his previous experiences.... This can be adressed and worked out of him!

This said, I am worried about this dog in this home situation... The dog has issues and a 3 year old cannot be expected to deal with this... But pts is in my opinion not at all necessary! I really hope a new home can be found where the new owners seriously adress the back issues!

Well, that was my two cents worth....
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 05:48 PM
I personally think the dog needs to see a vet, he sounds like a mixed up, troubled soul to me.. he has had so many homes and you don't know what sort of life and maybe abuse he has had to deal with If there is nothing physical, then he should, for his sake be pts...
My Nan's Airedale was put to sleep after he attacked for no reason, he was diagnosed with a brain tumour

By the way there are homes, where dogs do not come into contact with kids... mine is one of them
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 05:52 PM
If this was me having the dog PTS wouldnt even be an option yet im afraid, speaking to everyone in the breed rescues first is the best way these are people that know how to deal with there choosen breed.
Also like others have said dogs can snap when in pain, stressed ect so the vet can check him over to see that hes not ill..But imo putting the dog to sleep would be a BIG NO before all these options were looked into first.
Its clear that you can no longer house this dog because you have your children to think of first which is fair enough but there will be help out there somewhere, and as you say this dog has been around kids before and showed no signs of wanting to hurt them.

I think its far to early to give up on the dog..we took in a dog once she is only a toy breed (yes i know thats very small compared to the breed we are talking about here but still)..she bite, snapped, barked, flung her self at people in our house for 2years, she had to be locked in the kitchen when friends visted ect BUT giving up on her was never an option for us..we have now owned her for nearly 4years and she is a different dog, does she bite? NO does she have to be locked out when people come? NO! we can trust her now, ok the trust will never be 100% but things have improved so much for her, how easy would it have been for us to give up..But instead we spent time with her, teaching her how to be a happy dog..and we have to learn how to understand her!

I guess what im saying is get this dog into a home with some one that knows the breed, has the time to work with the dog! Because imo no dog is ever worth giving up on!

Sorry you had a scare today, but im glad your son came out of it 'unharmed'..

I dont think this post will go down well with most of you, after reading some of the advice but hey..No dog should ever be given up on (just my opinion and one that will never change).
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post

I for one can see what your saying.
But there are people that will. I rehomed a full adult male Doberman that was a cruelty case, but the people that had him were experienced Doberman handlers and had always had this breed all thier lives. He was very untrustworthy but they had one son of 23 living at home, so the home was very suitable and worked.
Recently I homed a Rotti again with people that know the breed.

Older people with experience would be more suitable IMO and no little ones
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Correctly your friend should have returned the dog to the RSPCA, they will have signed an agreement to do that & most other Rescues will be reluctant to take on an RSPCA dog

As you didn't see what caused the dog to react in this way, you really cannot blame the dog.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-05-2010, 06:22 PM
While I have every sympathy for the child my main concern is for the poor dog. I realise just how scary it is to discover your dog has turned on your child but seriously if a Dobermann carried out a sustained attack on anyone you wouldn't be talking about a graze and swelling that's for sure. I suspect he's caught the child with a tooth and then what appeared to be the attack carrying on was most likely a telling off. I wish I was local to help out short term but I already have 5 dogs and another at the moment is impossible. Contact all the Dobermann rehomers they will try their best to help. This dog seriously needs someone who understands Dobermanns.
Closed Thread
Page 6 of 47 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »