Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2010, 03:47 PM

Do bitches always bleed when in season?

I've had my dog for 5 months, she was a rescue dog so unsure of her age. Possibly about 15 months or so. I don't know if she has been dressed, vet said to wait and see if she came into heat. The last couple of days dogs have shown an interest in her and one tried to mount her. She was showing interest in a dog today, turning herself towards him but I can't see any sign of her being in heat, no blood or traces of it.

If a bitch has been spayed can their hormones still kick in afterwards that dogs show an interst but they're not actually in heat or can the dogs smell it before there are any signs showing. It's terrible being on tenterhooks every day, wondering if this is the day she'll come into heat or not. If she doesn't come into heat by the time I've had her about 7 months can I safely believe she has been spayed?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by 1cutedog View Post
I've had my dog for 5 months, she was a rescue dog so unsure of her age. Possibly about 15 months or so. I don't know if she has been dressed, vet said to wait and see if she came into heat. The last couple of days dogs have shown an interest in her and one tried to mount her. She was showing interest in a dog today, turning herself towards him but I can't see any sign of her being in heat, no blood or traces of it.

If a bitch has been spayed can their hormones still kick in afterwards that dogs show an interst but they're not actually in heat or can the dogs smell it before there are any signs showing. It's terrible being on tenterhooks every day, wondering if this is the day she'll come into heat or not. If she doesn't come into heat by the time I've had her about 7 months can I safely believe she has been spayed?
Is she swollen behind (her private bits) this will tell you also if she is coming or in season.

Get some damp tissue and keep wiping her vulva, if there is any hint of spotting (blood) then she is more than likely in season, , to answer your question , some bitches don't show much sign of being in season, so she coudl well be... to be 100% sure of no accidents , keep her away from any entire dogs.
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Some bitches have white, or silent seasons, no bleeding, but when one of my girls had them, there was no interest from the boys at all, could she be keeping herself really clean, have you noticed more licking of her bits than normal?
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks very much for the replies.

One night about 10 days ago she appeared to be licking herself but not noticed anything since then and I'm with her all the time except when nipping out to the shops for 15 minutes. She doesn't appear to be swollen and nothing shows on the damp tissue.

It's wierd as some dogs appear interested in her and someone at the park today who's always had bitches noticed that she was moving herself into position so is definitely looking interested.

If only I knew for sure
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2010, 09:19 PM
why not pop her down to the vet and ask him to have a quick check

hope you find out one way or another soon. x
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by 1cutedog View Post
Thanks very much for the replies.

One night about 10 days ago she appeared to be licking herself but not noticed anything since then and I'm with her all the time except when nipping out to the shops for 15 minutes. She doesn't appear to be swollen and nothing shows on the damp tissue.

It's wierd as some dogs appear interested in her and someone at the park today who's always had bitches noticed that she was moving herself into position so is definitely looking interested.

If only I knew for sure
hi
or was she 'hip slamming' as in playing?
as said,bitches can and do have 'silent heats' and can keep themselves very clean,
but there is swelling of the vulva,as when not in season it should not be large enough to mate(if u catch my drift)
but if u are unsure,i would not let her offlead around dogs and pop her to the vet for peace of mind
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2010, 09:31 PM
hi....me again
.....have you checked her anal glands?
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi....me again
.....have you checked her anal glands?
Anal glands? Am I supposed to do something with them

I'll leave that one up to the vet. Going soon to get her chipped so will get her looked at then.

Thanks for all the replies