Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Abbey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2008, 10:48 AM

Strange seizures in JRTx

My older JRTx (aged somewhere between 11-12y) begun taking these odd turns about 2y ago..since then he has had 4 in total...there was 11m between the first 2 and there has been 4m between the second 2. I have spoken to a neurologist and their thoughts seems to be that this is either CECS (also known as SPIKES) or some strange neurological short circuit problem, they are not convinced that it is an epileptic seizure as he is so aware of his surroundings. The episodes last between 2 mins and 8 mins and he doesnt appear distressed during them. All his muscles spasm and the hair on his back shoots up and down, as you can see in the video he is unaware of where his legs are. I have rectal diazepam to administer as soon as a turn happens. After the minutes that pass when he is doing this, he will lie down, sleep for a few minutes, stand up, shake himself and walk off as if nothing happened. Just wondered if anyone had ever experienced anything like it with their dogs?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Looks like classic CECS to me Abbey.