Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2014, 10:24 PM

A little bit annoyed!

I had told my m.i.l numerous times during the past week that Rosie is in season, I know it's a dry season but the tetchy ness and everything else is still there. I asked her NOT to bring Billy, as although he's not likely to get her pregnant, he will not leave her alone so what happens? He went to play with her very rough, jumped on her, nipped her ear and she went crackers, I refused to tell Rosie off and took Billy back to her house. I think she will listen now, I was quite cross but of course had to bite my tongue, and was very gentle when I explained Billy couldn't stay- she said she had forgot. We are having Rosie done, wasn't going to bother cos she doesn't really bother with other dogs when like this as she doesn't really like dogs near her bits, but now Billy is in our life looks like I have to

Sorry for the long rant
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-01-2014, 10:31 PM
Not a long rant and quite understandable. Neither Rosie nor Billy understand what is happening but I think you are correct in having Rosie spayed - three months after this season should be the right time for her.

Better safe than sorry.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2014, 10:35 PM
Don't blame ya for being annoyed.Rosie doesn't sound the type but some dogs in season can be a bit temperamental.Could have been Billy that ended up getting hurt.Wouldn't have been either dogs fault,only MIL for not respecting your wishes
Hope Rosie is ok(( hugs))
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2014, 10:46 PM
Thanks,
Rosie is fine, understandably MIL is besotted with him, and says she completely forgot what I'd said...Rosie isn't under normal circumstances temperaments but she tried to get out of his way today, and give mum in law her due she picked him up etc but you can't hold a wriggly pup like him for long, which is why I took him home!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2014, 11:05 PM
Jade doesn't like males near her "girl parts" either, even when she is in heat. My previous dog (un-neutered male) knew when to give up thankfully. No fights, no puppies, no problems. My current male is an early neuter and has no earthly idea what to make of a heat.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-01-2014, 03:25 PM
Vets over here won't spay until a dog is at least one year old and males are usually left intact which creates a problem when your young girl comes on heat. Both M'boi and Chloe came on heat together and I had to put up with every male dog in the village sitting outside the front gates from early morning to late at night!

Georgina is now 8 months old but so far hasn't come on heat and at least this time I know the garden is securely enclosed but its still a worry as I want to preserve my girl's virginity. I've just bought some deodorant tablets which are supposed to reduce the odour, but obviously I don't know as yet how well they'll work.
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2014, 10:48 PM
Rosie was 2 in December, Billy is only 4 months old. X
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2014, 01:12 PM
My next door neighbour's bitch is in season at the mo. She left her at home when they visited relatives last Sunday because her relatives live where there are a LOT of street dogs (all of them unneutered of course).

Apparently they still made their way to the front garden where they were all sitting and her neice said it's because they can still smell the bitch in season on the mum and dad's clothing!

Old fashioned vets here don't like neutering or spaying either - nor do the locals thinking it is in some way 'unnatural'?

The fact that her dog is in season is the reason she cannot help out her son who is moving and having to leave his unneutered dog behind for a few weeks. His usually silent Cyp Poodle has been non stop whining and peeing on everything since her bitch came into season. Keeping them together in same flat is out of the question.

They are both now making the right noises about getting both dogs 'done' at the earliest opportunity - seeing what havoc it can cause leaving them 'whole'.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2014, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Mandyuk1 View Post
I had told my m.i.l numerous times during the past week that Rosie is in season, I know it's a dry season but the tetchy ness and everything else is still there. I asked her NOT to bring Billy, as although he's not likely to get her pregnant, he will not leave her alone so what happens? He went to play with her very rough, jumped on her, nipped her ear and she went crackers, I refused to tell Rosie off and took Billy back to her house. I think she will listen now, I was quite cross but of course had to bite my tongue, and was very gentle when I explained Billy couldn't stay- she said she had forgot. We are having Rosie done, wasn't going to bother cos she doesn't really bother with other dogs when like this as she doesn't really like dogs near her bits, but now Billy is in our life looks like I have to

Sorry for the long rant
I would be annoyed as well, but to me forgetting is not good enough.

Personally I will always get a bitch spayed because there are so many things can go wrong with a bitch that is entire, some life threatening which don't happen if they are spayed. With a dog it is different, you basically swop one set of problems for another, I wouldn't neuter a male dog unless he had health problems and needed it.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-01-2014, 04:12 PM
Unspayed bitches, especially older ones are at risk frm pyometre , an infection of the womb. It often results in the bitch having her womb removed so long term, its better to chose when to have your bitch spayed than to have an emergency operation while she is seriously ill. younger dogs heal quicker too,

http://www.stbernardhealth.co.uk/pyometrainthebitch.htm
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >