Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-01-2009, 11:03 AM

dog boots

hi!

Does anyone have any experiences with dog boots?
i tried many types, but they all fall of the foot!
is there any brand you would recommend?
i only need it for one foot, as Farol has torn his claw and the live part of his nail is now exposed and vet said in needs to be protected and that dog should only go out to pee until it is healed. but man! it takes a month to heal and he cant be inside for a month!
i tried ductape, those plastic bandages, different types of boots. haven't tried Rufwear, as it is bloody expensive, and would like to know first if it is worth the money?

any ideas?

thanks in advance!
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Try Culpeppers or such like.. they make boots for husky racing..
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2009, 12:07 PM
does it have to be boots or would a pad protector cover it?
jumbosdad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-01-2009, 01:12 PM
go to your vet and ask if they have any empty drip bags, then cut to the right height, and then put paw in at about 45degree angle,so that the foot is in the corner, then either use vetwrap or some other tape to secure. They last about a week or so but they can just be thrown away, My vets give them to me for nothing, cheap effective. job done.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Must admit I use sock and poo bag taped on whenever we have had a cut pad! It just about lasts one walk! Depends on where you are walking of course!

I did see Mikki make a boot but don't know how effective it is!
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-01-2009, 02:40 PM
We bought boots for Brinley when he had his toe amputated and they were useless, we used old socks with a bag we got from the vets in the end, not very effective either, but better than any boots we bought.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by jumbosdad View Post
go to your vet and ask if they have any empty drip bags, then cut to the right height, and then put paw in at about 45degree angle,so that the foot is in the corner, then either use vetwrap or some other tape to secure. They last about a week or so but they can just be thrown away, My vets give them to me for nothing, cheap effective. job done.
That's exactly what I used when my old Yorkie had a foot injury. The Vet gave them to me. They worked well and I just threw them away when they started to look ratty.

I can't see that any of the boots would be too effective. A dogs paw just isn't a shape to keep a boot in place really.

Mind you, didn't someone mention about husky boots. Presumably they must work, if the dogs wear them for racing
gemma riley
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-01-2009, 03:54 PM
Someone recommended these to me, I didnt buy them as I used one of my husky boots but they look good and because they are higher up on the leg may stay on a bit longer

http://www.countrymun.com/general/do.../vet-boot.html