register for free

Dog News

In Memory Of Laika

Today marks the 50th anniversary of the launch of the USSR’s Sputnik I. Sputnik, a Soviet satellite, was launched on 4 October 1957 and was the first man-made object to be sent into the Earth's orbit.

Sputnik II was launched on 3 November 1957, carrying the first ever space passenger.

This was a dog called Laika.

Laika, a female of around three years old, was a stray mongrel from Moscow. She might have been part husky, hence her name, which is associated with “all varieties of hunting dogs traditionally kept by the peoples of the northern Russia and adjacent areas”, “Nordic Hunting Dogs” and “Nordic Sledge Dogs”.

Laika was trained for her mission alongside two other dogs, Albina and Mushka. Measures taken to adapt them to life on board the small cabin of Sputnik II resulted in cessation of certain bodily functions and a deterioration of their condition. They were trained for longer periods in order to combat this.

When Sputnik II was launched, Laika’s heartbeat was observed to be three times faster than normal during acceleration. After reaching orbit, the temperature control system malfunctioned and sadly Laika died in space after only a few hours after succumbing to stress and heat in the pressurised cabin. Sputnik II was not designed to return to earth, so it was never intended that Laika would live anyway. Five months later, Sputnik II was destroyed on re-entry and along with it, Laika’s remains.

Controversy surrounded Laika’s death until 2002 when a Russian scientist who had been involved with Sputnik II revealed the truth about her fate.

Laika’s involvement was part of a pioneering experiment that provided invaluable data for the future sending of humans into space. However, her death prompted a renewed debate in the West over the use of animals in science.

Laika is one of the most famous dogs in the world and her memory has been honoured in a number of ways. She is named in the Monument to the Conquerors of Space, used in literature, in a number of products, on postage stamps and her name appears on a plaque commemorating fallen cosmonauts at the Institute for Aviation and Space.

Run Free Laika

Your comments and views:
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2007, 09:30 PM
Awwww, I never knew that.
Run free Laika!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2007, 06:05 AM
Poor, poor girl
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-10-2007, 08:03 AM
What a wonderful dedication...Thank you.
karen&henry
New Member!
Female 

27-05-2009, 10:13 PM
thats so sad bless her
suew
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-06-2009, 06:04 PM
This breaks my heart every time I hear this story. Poor little dog, what choice did YOU have?? Run free baby x
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-07-2009, 03:33 PM
You've heard it said "Dog is Man's best friend". Unfortunately, the reverse is not so true.
Snorri the Priest
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-09-2009, 07:12 PM
I remember Laika - I was in school when the news came out. It is something I still remember as it had such an affect on me. I was ashamed and angry for the terrible things human beings do in the name of science and progress. It started me on CND campaigns and the protest marches of the sixties.
Annifred
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-11-2009, 03:01 PM
I hate the thought of dogs or any animal being used in that way or for sport. God Bless her.
chizzy
New Member!
Female 

16-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Poor dog...what an awful way to die. (
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top