Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Larisa
New Member!
Female 

11-03-2013, 03:41 AM

Sudden behavioural change/Sick?

I'm new to the forum, I mostly registered for this ongoing issue with my puppy. He is a 3 month old Mini Schnauzer, we've had him ever since he was 5 weeks old ( long story), we have 3 other older dogs, we also had an older Beagle who passed and a beagle puppy who saddly passed aswell but Iv'e never been through a similar situation with one of my dogs and I'm not very familiar with the breed.

Throin (my puppy) has always been a very playful dog, not overly hyper he has his moments when all of a sudden he will be running around liek crazy and other calm moments when he just sit downs and plays with his toys. Last week, he got his first groomers appointment and he also got wormed, he had his vaccines ( which included lepto) the week before that. So, after he got wormed Throin was not being himself, he just wanted me to hold him and he was not that interested in play and he slept a lot, honestly I thought it was the effect of the wormer because that has happened with my other dogs. On Monday he was back to his normal happy self, but he puked on midnight, it was mostly undigested food, called his vet and told me that it was the effects of the wormer that I should just provide him with lots of liquids for that day and no food until wednesday.I also want to point out that puppy never lost his appetite, and he drank water when he wanted to, which was the amount he usually drinks.
I had to call his vet again on wednesday, I gave him food and he threw it up a couple of hours later, and when I found out he had already eaten half of it. My vet ( he got his lepto vaccine not with his regular vet, he was out of town at that time), said that it was not really an effect from the wormer, that it was an effect from the lepto vaccine. So he was treated for his vomit, I provided him with fluids, still his eating patterns have nto changed..
Long story short, puppy ended up being a little bit overweight, that's why he was vomiting and not feeling well, we changed his diet and now he is not vomiting BUT he is not back to his playful self. He had bloodwork, fecal tests done and he is fine, he has not infection, no worms or anything. He's just not back to normal, and I'm worried.
Shoud I be concerned? Is there something else i should look into? He doenst really seem that interested in playing with my daughter that much and that is something that he loved. he is being a lazy puppy that just wants to eat and sleep but not play? Is that normal? My Barnese and my Lab are seniors but still act like pups, my Russian terrier not so much but thats how the breed is, I wonder if it is this way with schnazuers and I'm overthinking? I lost my precious Beagles last year ( one because of old age, the other one to cancer) and I do not want another one of my babies dying.
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-03-2013, 06:17 PM
It's hard t say he could be a bit stressed out with everything's that happened and been so young.

Most pups don't leave their mums till 8-9 weeks, 5 weeks is very young and then to have all those problems.

What is his new food? Is it giving him enough energy?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Hello Larissa and welcome .
It sounds as though your puppy got off to a bad start being removed from his dam at such a young age .

From your description you puppy may not have been 'vomiting' but regurgitating his food. How many meals are you feeding and what are you feeding .

The rule for feeding puppies is little and often particularly in small puppies. If you feed too much at one meal a puppy may get a distended tummy and throw the food back up particularly if it has worms too. Ideally your puppy should have been on 4 meals up to 3 months old then down to 3 meals until 6 months.

Shoud I be concerned? Is there something else i should look into? He doenst really seem that interested in playing with my daughter that much and that is something that he loved. he is being a lazy puppy that just wants to eat and sleep but not play? Is that normal?
Any change in behaviour should not be ignored. A normal puppy should be lively and playful.

Is he peeing and pooing ok?