Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rahuls139
New Member!
Male 

12-08-2018, 09:40 PM

Dog Boots or No Dog Boots

My girlfriend and I are getting a golden retriever soon. This is the first pet for both of us and he'll be 8 weeks when we get him. We live in PA where we get all 4 seasons (high heat all the way to snow).

We are having a debate about whether dog shoes/boots are a good investment to protect his paws. I personally think they wouldn't be necessary and we can get by with paw wax, but we've been reading conflicting arguments online. If someone could help us out that would be great!

Thanks in advance!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-08-2018, 09:14 AM
I don't think the uk gets enough snow to need boots.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2018, 09:22 AM
I don't think you need to worry about boots at all unless you are going on very sharp rocky ground. My daughter lives in PA and has Belgian Shepherds and they don't wear boots and do all kinds of work.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-08-2018, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by rahuls139 View Post
My girlfriend and I are getting a golden retriever soon. This is the first pet for both of us and he'll be 8 weeks when we get him. We live in PA where we get all 4 seasons (high heat all the way to snow).

We are having a debate about whether dog shoes/boots are a good investment to protect his paws. I personally think they wouldn't be necessary and we can get by with paw wax, but we've been reading conflicting arguments online. If someone could help us out that would be great!

Thanks in advance!
Hi from me.
Ours, a collie, probably wouldn't tolerate them. And your 8-week-old would probably chew them to pieces.
So, it's a no from me.

rahuls139
New Member!
Male 

14-08-2018, 04:28 PM
Thanks! Any recommendations for Paw Wax (should we use it?, what brands).
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-08-2018, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by rahuls139 View Post
Thanks! Any recommendations for Paw Wax (should we use it?, what brands).
We don't use it so I can't offer advice. Some others here may. Amazon and eBay offer a variety.

FWIW, we don't go out if the walkways are hot or when it goes above 22C/72F - that avoids the heat. We also have cool mats which he seems to like.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2018, 05:17 PM
Personally don't bother with paw wax. Can make a dog sick if licked off. I think you are worrying to much. If in doubt ask your breeder for advice. If they are a reputable breeder which I am sure they are they wont mind you asking.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-08-2018, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
Personally don't bother with paw wax. Can make a dog sick if licked off. I think you are worrying to much. If in doubt ask your breeder for advice. If they are a reputable breeder which I am sure they are they wont mind you asking.
I agree. But at least he is asking the questions. Should be a caring owner.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2018, 11:35 AM
I am sure your pup will acclimitise to your different climates, so wouldn't worry too much.

We do have a dog boot for one of our working dogs, as he was born with a slightly deformed paw and he is missing three toes. He isn't keen on it really and will pull it off given the opportunity.