View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2014, 02:43 PM
And I know a man in his late 80s who still rides his Harley every day!

Yes a lot depends on the individual. Some people want a dog just for 'companionship'. Some because they love the training and walking with them. I just do not enjoy a walk as much without a dog as I do with one.

Good point about not being able to take a dog out for a walk and exercise. If I was unable to do that, I would not get a dog - I know I could afford to pay a dog walker. But I think I'd be worried the dog would consider the person who walked them to be the 'mistress' and not me!

I have of course sometimes had someone else take my dog out for a walk when I've been unable to or when leaving her all day.

I think, as I said before, older dogs for older people is a splendid idea as long as the dog owner can afford to take on an older dog with the greater risk of expensive vet bills or insurance coming into it. I've never insured but I am assuming the cost of insurance goes UP with the age of the dog?

There have been short periods where I've only been able to walk my dog around a block due to sickness or injury (mind you if it's chucking down with rain which it doesn't do often here - it's a major task to get her outside let alone walking!)

But a good daily walk has been such an integral part of the life of every dog I've ever owned that I cannot imagine a dog not having that. I like walking and exploring my home territory and new surroundings. And I like doing it better in the company of a dog.

I can honestly say without doubt that the BEST part of the day for ALL the dogs I've owned is when I take them out. Followed a close second by when I feed them!

It's one of my main considerations when choosing a home - not only are there nice places not too far off that we can go to but is there somewhere close enough to walk to without using the car that is a nice walk for me and my dog. And with regard to gardens too - secure enough and all that. Not necessarily big enough - some breeds don't want to go outside on their own. But definitely one that they cannot escape from.

Part of the family aren't they?
spot
Dogsey Veteran

23-03-2014, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by Deb/Pugglepup View Post
My dad is 72. Lives alone and my mum passed very suddenly 4 years ago. Ellis his lab the year after.

He said only the other day that he fancies owning another dog. He obviously wants the company.

If he does, we'll agree to take responsibility if anything happens to Dad, but an older rescue dog would be perfect for him.

I think there's a home for all the oldies. What do you think?
I agree there is a home for all oldies!

About 3 years ago my parents were offered a dog from the people in the caravan where they have theirs. Fair enough the dog could no longer be give the care he deserved.

My parents were both in their 80's my Dad had been diagnosed with Alzeimers(sp) and Mum was not that spritly so of course us kids all said nope dont do it - really bad idea just dont go there!

Well obviously said dog came to live with my parents! To start he is the most cute dog ever - very much Dandy Dinmont in looks! and so sweet.

My Dad loved taking him out even when he had to use a buggy, Mum loved spoiling him and things seemed to be going along so well! But ...

My Dad died 2 years ago just after Christmas so what's to happen to Doughnut - what happened to Doughnut is, I honestly think, is he kept my Mum alive! She adores him, lives to feed him (too much) talks to him all the time, has learnt to use the buggy so she can walk him, has kept the caravan on so it easier for them in the summer to get out and about. She does have a neighbour coming in to help walk him but thats another bonus because she gets more visitors.

Getting a dog when your older - in the right circumstances the best thing that can happen!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2014, 07:10 PM
Spot it was so lovely to read that.

I was still'talking' to my last dog for more than a year after she died. You talk to your dog a lot when the two of you live alone. I didn't have philosophical discussions with her Cavvy .. short attention span!

But you'comment on the minutae of daily routine.

Here we are.
Let's go to bed.
Im starving.
My back's killing me!
What shall we do today?
Oh dagnammit - that hurt! Poor mummy!

And as in the case of your Mum, if you've been so used to having someone else to talk to ... well even more so.

I found it nigh on impossible to talk about the death of my last beloved dog. I avoided people. Didn't want them asking me where she was. Didn't want their sympathy. Didn't walk anywhere local for ages so I wouldn't met anyone I knew. Got straight in the car. Stopped using my local shop. Didn't go to her beloved lake for more than a year (had never been there without her). The first time I did because my son insisted ., he went for a jog and I sat and bawled my eyes out.

When I got Bella, I found myself talking to her about old Charlie quite naturally. Stupid stuff. I'd say to her things like

Wish Charlie was here, she'd teach you manners, she was a laydee!
You noisy bint! Charlie didn't bark at all until she was four!
And compare them and lecture Bella on how a good dog behaves in the car telling her if she wasn't so stupid she could come with me all over the island!
Frequently commented to her that Charlie understood that you could be kicked out of an apartment for having a noisy dog. Or even have your dog taken away!

So, after a 2 year dogless period, I was able to talk about Charlie at last ... to Bella!

And I have a feeling that your Mum might talk about your dad to his dog.

Dogs are such wonderful confidantes, they never repeat what you say and they are always in agreement with you and on your side.

You can say stuff to a dog that you'd never say to a human. They never make you feel stupid! They give you the look that says ' quite right too' !
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Tang I find the look my dogs give me says " your a crazy woman but we love ya "
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2014, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Tang I find the look my dogs give me says " your a crazy woman but we love ya "

That's the look my KIDS give me!!