Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2007, 11:20 AM

Rescue dogs - working dogs?

I have always been a big fan of the Border Collie Rescue organisation in North Yorkshire.

http://www.bordercollierescue.org/

They have recently posted some very informative and interesting videos :-

http://www.bordercollierescue.org/Fl...videopage.html

What is pleasantly surprising is that they recognise the BC as primarily a working dog and therefore assess all dogs who come into their care for their ability to work. If they prove themselves to have the interest and ability they are found working homes. Of course these farm homes are still home-checked and the farmers/shepherds assessed, as they would with a pet home - so I am all in favour of it.

What are others views on collies or other primary working breeds being placed into working homes above pet homes?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2007, 11:28 AM
I think every dog should be placed in the correct home for that dog. If it has a high work drive...but could have a good home with a 'pet' owner who is active and tresponsible and knows the breed, I don't think one should be favoured over the other. It has to be the best match for the dog/home. They shouldn't just take it's work drive into cnsideration...
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2007, 11:31 AM
Everything wot Ramble said lol!
Becky
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2007, 11:41 AM
I think dedicated breed rescue's are the way to go..

Primarily the people dealing with specific breeds will obviously know the breed and have owned the breed and dealt with all aspects of the breeds behaviour having personally owned and worked them for numerous years which give them the personal experience as an "upper hand"...

Most people who deal with whatever breed will then be able to recognise the working potential in the breed and can home accordingly..

I firmly beleive that a breed rescue should be deferred to from an all breed rescue centre and they should hand over these specific breeds to be dealt with accordingly by experienced people in the breed and be assessed by these people who know what they are looking at..
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2007, 11:42 AM
lol, agree with Ramble as well!

Helen
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2007, 11:45 AM
I've been told though that some sibe/malamute kennels will not rehome a dog to someone who works them in harness. It was many years ago mind so it may well have changed but I know someone who had a kennel of Sibes (I think may have been mals) and they were refused a rescue because they were going to work it!
Becky
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2007, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I've been told though that some sibe/malamute kennels will not rehome a dog to someone who works them in harness. It was many years ago mind so it may well have changed but I know someone who had a kennel of Sibes (I think may have been mals) and they were refused a rescue because they were going to work it!
Becky
What do you mean by kennels??

Official Breed rescue do allow their dogs to be worked if they are capable
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2007, 11:56 AM
I meant rescue sorry! It was quite a few years ago now so maybe things have changed lol! I thought it was rather odd myself.
Becky
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2007, 12:01 PM
I think each individual dog needs to be assessed. In terms of border collies, I absolutely agree that if a working collie comes in for rescue that has a need to work,it is far better for it to go to a working home and continue it's work. Once you have brought out the working trait it can be very cruel to not give the dog a chance to continue. This is why even if a BC shows a working instinct (aptitude testing on sheep), unless you can regularly work it, you are being unfair to the dog to work it now and again, once the instinct is fullly there it is difficult if not impossible to switch it off. I know of many such collie rescues which have mainly working collies, who will only rehome back into the working environment. I absolutely agree with this. Seen too many working collies go stir crazy and inevitably faced the needle.
I'm not saying that some dogs can fit in with a new environment, however with a working collie Now that's one side of it.
Collies that who have not previously been in a working home but still show an aptitude for it, still could go to either a working or pet home and fit in perfectly happily.
I have my boy, shown a great aptitude for working and hopefully in the future if I get consistency will start working him, however in the meantime he's quite happy doing the things he does now and keeping him stimulated.
I have no problem with a rescue assessing each dog and giving it what they think is the best home situation. I would have a problem if a dog was assessed to fitting into a home situation but a rescues blanket rule of only rehoming to a working home. How is that the best for the dog. Sitting in kennels when it could be living in it's new home. As long as a rescues view is balanced and it does the very best for the dog concerned. I don't have a problem.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Im all for it, if a dogs temperament is better suited working, then it should be offered into a working home.
Dawn.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »