Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by kristian View Post
http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petb...ality.php:cry:
just wondering why there is 252 views but only 19 replies? there must be some people who are against this breed! just want to hear they're reasons? i'm interested in why people would be against them!
Not everybody wants to take part in the disscussion Kristian, but everybody is entitled to read and look and follow the thread.
Dawn.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
That's very true Dawn but i can also think of other breeds that this would apply to that are not listed on the DDA.
Agreed Sal, but this is about Pit Bulls, they are on the DDA list and should by now, NOT be here, the fact that they are, means that the very problems that caused them to be banned are continuing.
Dawn.
kristian
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-03-2007, 07:44 PM
sorry if i came accross as being abrupt i really am interested in what people have to say against them thats all
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Agreed Sal, but this is about Pit Bulls, they are on the DDA list and should by now, NOT be here, the fact that they are, means that the very problems that caused them to be banned are continuing.
Dawn.
Yes they are still here,or crosses are anyhow which tells me that the knee-jerk legislation that was rushed through in 1991 isn't working,will never work and if you ban something i think it tends to attract the irresponsible morons more.
Have dog bites and dog attacks actually decreased since the introduction of the DDA?
No,they are never likely to either because the real the issue isn't about breed it's about irresponsible owners.
Until we address that problem we are fighting a losing battle and at the end of the day it's the breeds like the pitbulls that suffer from bad press and hyped up media reports,not the idiotic irresponsible owner.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 07:48 PM
http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/sadreality.php
just wondering why there is 252 views but only 19 replies? there must be some people who are against this breed! just want to hear they're reasons? i'm interested in why people would be against them!
I recently saw a programme on Reality tv on Sky, where they showed a clip of a woman actually being attacked by 2 pitbulls that had escaped from a house down the road It scared the pants off me, and yet I own 2 gsd's, so I'm not the scarey kind, but I must admit, these dogs were definitely in for the kill from what I saw

Later on in the programme, I saw the "owner" of said dogs!!! That was enough for me to know WHY these dogs attacked as they did.

I don't know where I sit quite honestly, perhaps on the fence? I wouldn't like one to get in my back yard who was owned by some dipstick who hadn't brought the dog up properly. I must admit, hands in the air, they frighten the hell out of me! That's my opinion. I haven't ever met one, I haven't seen how nice and friendly they CAN be, I've only seen what I've seen on the tv, but it was "REAL" tv, as the title of the channel reflects, and it was very frightening, I won't forget it.

I know I could say the same about a gsd getting into my back yard etc. but it wouldn't frighten me as much as a nasty pitbull would, and that's the honest truth! Sorry, but that's how I feel.

When I said "nasty pitbull" I didn't mean it like THAT, I meant to put a pitbull who might have a nasty streak in it, you know what I mean!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 07:48 PM
I can only go by what I experience personally with regard to the breed. My brother worked in a pet shop in Canada about 25 years ago where the owners had 2 pit bulls. They were there to guard the shop but were the most lovely natured, well behaved dogs. That said, if one of them ran at you full tilt from the back of the shop and didn't stop, it would probably have broken your leg from the sheer power of it. I agree that any dog can be dangerous in the wrong hands and that's what worries me more than anything.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 07:50 PM
sorry if i came accross as being abrupt i really am interested in what people have to say against them thats all
I don't think anyone is totally against them, afterall said and done they are dogs and think like any other dog in the right kind of environment, with the right kind of owners. People tend to be 'fearful' if thats the right word, because of media hype
bebe
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
IMO - they are as dangerous as any other dog in the wrong hands - but i do think like i have said before they have the breeding of fighting dogs - MY OPINION SO DONT SLATE ME FOR IT
But as a "fighting dog" (and I hate to use that phrase, ANY dog can fight) breed, they are less likely to bite a human than most other breeds. If the "fighting instinct" is bred into them, as you say, then so is the instinct NOT to turn on people. Thats bred into them too. They wouldnt have been valuable to the dog fighters if they were not safe to be handled in the pit. (and while their adrenalin was souring to boot! )

Anyone who knows about bullbreeds in general knows that its highly unusual for one to attack a human. They adore people. It only goes tragically wrong when abusive owners raise them and a series of events unfold. Its not a case of "one wrong move and this dog will go for your throat", its systematic abuse and neglect at the wrong hands that cause problems. So, again, its human error, not the dogs fault.

Over and over I read this stupid misconception that DOG aggression and HUMAN aggression are one and the same, and it really annoys me. Just because a dog is a decendent of a fighting breed, does NOT make it dangerous to people.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 07:59 PM
No problem Kristian, you didnt.

Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Yes they are still here,or crosses are anyhow which tells me that the knee-jerk legislation that was rushed through in 1991 isn't working,will never work and if you ban something i think it tends to attract the irresponsible morons more.
Have dog bites and dog attacks actually decreased since the introduction of the DDA?
No,they are never likely to either because the real the issue isn't about breed it's about irresponsible owners.
Until we address that problem we are fighting a losing battle and at the end of the day it's the breeds like the pitbulls that suffer from bad press and hyped up media reports,not the idiotic irresponsible owner.
Sal, this thread is not about BSL its about the breed only.

I can comment on the high number I have boarded, and I can say there are very definate differences between Pit Bulls and other breeds.

Comparing them to Staffs is silly, they are entirely different. I can tell a Staff a mile away by its voice! They have a distinct voice, as do GSD's and Dobes, unmistakable. Pit Bulls do not sound like Staffs, and they do not behave like Staffs. I have just boarded one, a "Staff cross" of course, but no way on this earth was that dog anything but a Pit bull. Its head, its demeanor, its calmness, its look, all typical. I have had them wrapped round my neck, the most lovliest of dogs, but there are plenty that are just not like that. I would like people who are in such strict defence of them and have NOT had the experience of the breed, just to be around a few for a while, they may just change their opinion when they see what they can do when the trigger snaps.

Now before i get leapt on, I LIKE this breed and always have. but I dont believe they have a place in our homes, as pets, given the reason most of them are still here.
Dawn.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

08-03-2007, 08:17 PM
Please keep this thread on topic - we're not discussing the DDA or BSL (that's another debate in itself).

This thread is about one particular breed, and whether you think it is dangerous or not.
Page 3 of 132 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 53 103 > Last »