View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chickadeedeedee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2006, 03:54 AM

Bosco ~Update: Six Months Cancer Free ! (haemangiosarcoma)

Hi all.

Bosco, our 10 year old GSD, had his cancerous spleen removed in September, 2005. It was a hemangiosarcoma. Ten days after the surgery we began a 12 week course of chemotherapy.

Now I am delighted to update you by saying his chest x-rays last week to check for signs of the cancer metastasis were clear. I sent the radiographs to a radiologist to verify I was not missing anything. I wasn't. There appears to be no sign of the recurrence of the hemangiosarcoma in his lungs.

In addition his bloodwork also is perfect. A sign of recurrence can be anemia before there are changes noted in the lungs. So far we are doing well.

The biggest problem now is weight loss. He gained weight during the chemotherapy. It was a case of: "Oh poor doggy. You had cancer. Here, let me feed you some canned cat food WITH A SPOON!" LOL!!

He's lost 3 pounds and is now 111 pounds but we need to get him down to 100-105 pounds. We'll get there. He's playing with his squeaky toys and running through the house like a puppy. (Huge puppy.)

Bosco will be 11 years old on the 13th of this month and we'd like to thank you all for your concern and good wishes as we went through this ordeal. Seems like the whole forum went through it with us and that feeling of support was very much appreciated!

Thank you all!

Bosco and Lydia
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2006, 03:59 AM
Really pleased to hear he is doing so well. Long may it continue. XX :smt023
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-04-2006, 04:05 AM
That is such excellent news Lydia I am so pleased for you and for Bosco I suppose you will continue to monitor his blood & do periodic x-rays? Sounds as though he has a new lease of life though and will be even more energetic once he has shed some padding I hope he has many happy birthdays to come - and perhaps you could forget the diet just for the 13th
Meg
Supervisor

02-04-2006, 09:04 AM
Very pleased to hear your news CD3 (hug) sounds as if you have done a fantastic job with your nursing. I hope you and Bosco have many more years together
Carole
Supervisor

02-04-2006, 09:11 AM
that is great news
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2006, 09:21 AM
Fantastic news I'm so chuffed for you & Bosco
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2006, 10:21 AM
That's fantastic news Lydia - I am so glad that Bosco is improving all the time. He's a very lucky lad having a vet for a mummy Benji is on a bit of a diet too because all those steroids made him want to eat like an horse so I am trying to get a few pounds off him too. Thanks for the email and glad everything is okay with you and your family
Chickadeedeedee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2006, 04:23 PM
Thank you EVERYONE for your kind sentiments and continued support!

The next set of x-rays is to be in 3 to 6 months. I suppose by now it is no mystery that he will have one in 3 months rather than wait for the six months! Bosco's oncologist said it would be useful to monitor his CBC once a month for signs of anemia. He says that will be evident before the first signs of change on chest x-rays.

I do the once a month CBC on him and so far everything is perfect. I still am not convinced that is such a great way to catch the cancer recurrence. A short 12 hours before Bosco had his 3 pound cancerous spleen removed his CBC / complete chemistry / thyroid function tests were perfection! No anemia with 3 pounds of cancer. Hmmmm.

So we'll continue to keep an eye on him. He already has ice cream and dog cookies on the menu for his birthday party.

Thanks again. We'll keep you updated,

Lydia