Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Twigs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-04-2014, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Yes, it was pretty well broken after being stood on by half a ton of horse lol. I've still got the dents in my fingers, you can make out the horseshoe shape to this day lol
Oh my goodness, I bet that was painful. The only thing I've ever broken before this was the tip of my toe when I was 12!! I feel so silly as it was my own fault, in my usual dream and not looking where Iwas going!! LOL
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-04-2014, 03:59 PM
Well I was being silly as well, took my eye off the ball.
Was lungeing and there was a digger in the field shifting the muck heap, and I was stood with her, stroking her whilst she watched, and my concentration slipped and I was watching the digger more than her, she reared up, spun round, knocked me over and stood on me as she ran off.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2014, 04:03 PM
I've broken most breakable bits of my body(except my back thank goodness)sign of a misspelt youth, rock climbing, playing "contact" games that are meant to be no contact.

They put the back slab on to allow the bruising etc to go down & to allow the joint to settle down.

If it isn't perfectly lined up they will probably do another realignment(not very common)

They used to just plaster you up years ago & that's when the problems used to occur.

Hopefully your doctor will have realigned the wrist & you won't need anything else other than a cast & then physio
Twigs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-04-2014, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I've broken most breakable bits of my body(except my back thank goodness)sign of a misspelt youth, rock climbing, playing "contact" games that are meant to be no contact.

They put the back slab on to allow the bruising etc to go down & to allow the joint to settle down.

If it isn't perfectly lined up they will probably do another realignment(not very common)

They used to just plaster you up years ago & that's when the problems used to occur.

Hopefully your doctor will have realigned the wrist & you won't need anything else other than a cast & then physio
Yes, hopefully. With all the breaks you have had did you find that when you have the plaster cast put on that you can get on and do most everyday things or did you still have to rest it? I was just wondering as I am usually such an active person and am relying on hubby to do most of the housework, gardening and walking the dogs and I hate being reliant on anyone! I did manage with great difficulty to do some ironing but not sure if I should even be doing that!!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-04-2014, 04:16 PM
I couldn't go to work because I couldn't drive, but I had to do all the other stuff, there was only me. Girls at the yard helped with the horse, learned to clean the oven with my left hand and iron that way etc. Showered with cling film and a bin liner over my arm. You find ways round stuff.
Twigs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-04-2014, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I couldn't go to work because I couldn't drive, but I had to do all the other stuff, there was only me. Girls at the yard helped with the horse, learned to clean the oven with my left hand and iron that way etc. Showered with cling film and a bin liner over my arm. You find ways round stuff.
Yes you just have to get on with things. Its just that I don't want to the bones to become displaced again so am being a bit careful at the moment until I get the proper plaster cast on.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2014, 05:39 PM
Fibre glass casts were a thing of dreams when I did most of my breaking of bones so coping with day to day life was difficult.

I did learn how to do things with my left hand(I'm a natural right hander)as I did when I had my right wrist decompression done
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2014, 10:41 AM
Have broken a wrist before. Was a compound "buckle fracture" and happened after flipping off the front of a bicycle down a hill. Very painful but glad I threw my arms out to catch myself or it would have been my head with the fractures! Could not use the arm at all!

Was my right arm, needed a cast for several months. Was 12 weeks for the cast, and another 4 weeks with one of those movable wrist thingies. I'm left handed so wasn't SO bad.

UGLY wrist fractures like mine need to be casted for a long time because it is near a joint which moves a lot which makes healing slower. Have broken an arm, a foot, a kneecap (patella) and a few fingers and toes, as well. So always bad stuff.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2014, 11:26 AM
Doc told me the wrist is a very complex joint. Unlike the ankle which is a very simple one.

When my bro in law broke his right wrist very badly (motorcycle accident) he had to undergo many surgeries in order to prevent him losing the use of the hand altogether. He still only has 75% mobility in that hand. But that was a very bad impact accident.
Twigs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-05-2014, 03:11 PM
Well I went to the hospital yesterday and had to wait about 1 1/2 hrs before seeing doctor. He told me it is a smiths fracture.
I then had to wait ages to see the plaster room and then I had a shock when he told me I would have to have an over the elbow cast! I told him I knew I couldn't cope with it (panic). He checked with the doctor who said that it would have to be to keep the bones from moving.
They put it on and I felt not well at all, it is right up to my armpit. Had to then go to X ray (feeling not too good).
Back to doctor who said I needed to keep this on for 2 weeks, which was a bit of a relief, and I go back in 2 weeks to have a below the elbow cast on.
The problem is now I'm home I'm getting bad anxiety and panics, can't eat either ;-(( The cast feels tight, itchy and I feel panicky that I can't get to my arm and feel very, very claustrophobic.
I am doing my best to stay calm but am feeling terrible. I just don't know if I can cope with this.
I do feel so silly and needed to talk about this. I can't find any website that seems to help in these matters.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >