View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2013, 04:04 PM
Seems as daft to me to suggest that if you bought a really expensive dog you'd have to 'hide it' and never take it out in case it got stolen as it would be to suggest that if you bought a really expensive yacht you could never take it on the water, or a private jet that you'd have to hide it in a hangar and never fly it. Or even a very expensive car - that you'd have to hide it away and never take it on the road in case someone stole it!

Don't see what the point of this 'what chance do you have of keeping a valuable dog safe?' slant on it is really. Doesn't say anything in that years old article about anything like that. That's just the OP's personal opinion of expensive dogs. I doubt whether many people would think that way or agree with it.

*to be honest it is a striking looking dog, but if I saw it being walked down the road I'd not have a CLUE how much it cost and it wouldn't even occur to me to wonder how much it cost. No more than I wonder about how much any other breed of dog I see cost.

I happen to think BlueJay's FRODO is a very striking looking dog but it's never occurred to me to wonder if that means he was mega expensive!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2013, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
More like your average Joe paying ten bob for his Lacey!

Priceless to me!!
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2013, 09:09 PM
In todays must have,Celebrities have this worry each day,even if the dogs are not in the league of being bought for millions,and yes people do spend a lot of money on possesions,that they keep locked away and never see the light of day, I had a client who bought wine worth thousands and thousands but it was never drunk,it is part of this world we live in that people want to own something i.e like high spec cars,even a carp (fish) that is worth tens of thousands,I think it is a sort of one upmanship look what I have got,but sometimes people are interested in breeding and target a particular dog for this reason so that they get a high return on the puppies,but even owning a championship dog,the owners have to up the security.In the seventies 1500,was a large amount to pay for a dog I remember the shock at the Blackpool Dog Show,when people were talking about it some were just bemused.

You never know someone is maybe keeping Shergar and Lord Lucan under wraps,waiting for the right price.

But at the end of the day,all I would want is a healthy loving companion,it just doesnt matter how much but if people only want a dog because of how much it cost or as a fashion statement my only wish then is that the dog is loved and has a forever home.Gemini54
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2013, 11:53 PM
You never know someone is maybe keeping Shergar and Lord Lucan under wraps,waiting for the right price.
Yeah you never know do you? And personally I never worry about that sort of stuff nor about any of the other kook conspiracy theories that infest the internet and worry so many others.

I'm too busy worrying about dodgy cloud formations now they really worry me ....

Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2013, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
In todays must have,Celebrities have this worry each day,even if the dogs are not in the league of being bought for millions,and yes people do spend a lot of money on possesions,that they keep locked away and never see the light of day, I had a client who bought wine worth thousands and thousands but it was never drunk,it is part of this world we live in that people want to own something i.e like high spec cars,even a carp (fish) that is worth tens of thousands,I think it is a sort of one upmanship look what I have got,but sometimes people are interested in breeding and target a particular dog for this reason so that they get a high return on the puppies,but even owning a championship dog,the owners have to up the security.In the seventies 1500,was a large amount to pay for a dog I remember the shock at the Blackpool Dog Show,when people were talking about it some were just bemused.

But at the end of the day,all I would want is a healthy loving companion,it just doesnt matter how much but if people only want a dog because of how much it cost or as a fashion statement my only wish then is that the dog is loved and has a forever home.Gemini54
I don't think many people buy expensive dogs because they want an expensive dog they do it because they want that dog and are no less likely to love it than you are yours. You are displaying a bit of reverse snobbery imagining people who have a lot of money don't feel like we do.
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2013, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post

I happen to think BlueJay's FRODO is a very striking looking dog but it's never occurred to me to wonder if that means he was mega expensive!
Yes, yes he was... He cost me my sanity
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-12-2013, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
But has given the rest of us so much fun!
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2013, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
Hi But was he worth it,Gemini54
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2013, 10:29 AM
Hi I suppose you worry if for instance someone goes up to a person with a stunning looking dog and you compliment them and they immediately go into how much it cost etc,and find it very offputting when all I want to do is talk about the dog and how lovely it is,we had a neigbour,who on receiving anything would go out and find out how much it cost,I used to avoid her like the plague,because to me its not about money.I would rather have the enjoyment of seeing something beautiful and not think its beautiful because its worth hundreds of pounds,beauty has no price tag and if you genuinely love something not because of what it costs but because you have a passion for a particular breed of dog or whatever surely that is better,you can then share your good fortune with others rather then it becoming a possesion for your eyes only Gemini54
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2