Female 

10-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Oops double post . Sorry !
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by bens mum View Post
theres a family who i see over the feild with their pup hes about 8/9 months old sweet dog. gets on well with Ben. well this family where walking down the road with the dog on this extending lead. and the dammed idiot let the dog roam into the road, that we where driving down at the time. we screeched to a halt. missed the dog by inches. and the idiot owner GAVE US the 100 yard stare. i honestly thought we had hit the dog.luckily we missed. but as we drove off they let their dog still roam in the road!!! oh and if it had been a few 2nds later we would of hit a van
His attitude is unbelievable ! Its sounds like arrogance rather than ignorance

I saw someone at our park with a lovley westie on and a long line attached to its collar. the dog ran towards another dog and hit the of the line (about 30 ft! ) and nearly somersaulted over backwards . How it didnt break its neck ....

Alison
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2013, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by Dibbythedog View Post
His attitude is unbelievable ! Its sounds like arrogance rather than ignorance

I saw someone at our park with a lovley westie on and a long line attached to its collar. the dog ran towards another dog and hit the of the line (about 30 ft! ) and nearly somersaulted over backwards . How it didnt break its neck ....

Alison
I would never use them without harnesses, I am not even sure they don't say that on the pack when you buy them.
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2013, 07:48 AM
I use a extendable lead for Rosie when going on some walks, but if I walk into town and take her with me, I only ever use a normal lead. I only ever use a harnesses on either lead,Rosie walks better that way
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2013, 01:39 AM
Originally Posted by Dibbythedog View Post
...the dog ran towards another dog and hit the of the line (about 30 ft! ) and nearly somersaulted over backwards . How it didnt break its neck ....

Alison
Neck injuries are a serious risk with extending leads for just the reason you describe. They're especially dangerous for large, powerful dogs or dogs whose strength is somewhat excessive for their body size, like a Jack Russell. That sharp yank when they come to the end of the line can crush neck muscles and injure the throat, not to mention being painful.

I do use them, but only if I am with just one dog on lead. They're great for letting a dog sniff around and explore when it's safe to do so, if you can't let them completely off-lead-- the minute some distraction enters the picture or the dog could get into trouble, like on a road, I'll take it back to about 4 feet and click it. I do prefer to use harnesses as a general rule and would always recommend a harness be used with a long lead, but bear in mind that some dogs who love pulling, such as Malamutes and Huskies, may see you as a kind of sled! Extenders are not a good choice for inveterate pullers.

I'm sure all of you know this but in case you meet someone who doesn't you might let them know that it is extremely unwise to use an extender with a head collar such as a Halti or Gentle Leader. The yank if they come to the end of the lead at a run can snap their head right around with the full force of their weight and speed and cause serious injury. I love the Halti! It's a very important piece of kit for me, but it is very important that one learns to use it right, and with an extending lead is dead wrong.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2