Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 09:00 PM

Idiot owner

theres a family who i see over the feild with their pup hes about 8/9 months old sweet dog. gets on well with Ben. well this family where walking down the road with the dog on this extending lead. and the dammed idiot let the dog roam into the road, that we where driving down at the time. we screeched to a halt. missed the dog by inches. and the idiot owner GAVE US the 100 yard stare. i honestly thought we had hit the dog.luckily we missed. but as we drove off they let their dog still roam in the road!!! oh and if it had been a few 2nds later we would of hit a van
But why let your dog roam like that. those leads are fine if u have a dog that runs off. (i use 1 on my neighbours little dog) but this dog has a good recall seen it.
just gonna be fun the next time we meet up on the field.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 09:34 PM
might not be meeting up with him for much longer if he's let roam on the road like that So lucky it didn't cause a bad accident.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 10:08 PM
Extending leads are brilliant when used correctly - I use one for Jimmi who is never allowed offlead when out. However I too absolutely cringe when I see people with dogs at full extent when walking down pavements alongside busy roads. It only takes a second for the dog to dash out, and there is no control whatsoever unless the lead is retracted and locked.

That poor dog, he may not be long for this earth and the driver will not be to blame.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-12-2013, 10:17 PM
Absolutely right, Bitkin-- they are brilliant when used correctly. Unfortunately they hardy ever are. I see dogs on extending leads out into danger all the time.

"They're on lead", people might say. They need to be on attention.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 10:49 PM
I decided against a flexi lead for just this reason. High time it needs to be snapped up, it's loose... and vice versa. I'd rather use a regular 6 foot lead than end up with a mistake on my hands because I couldn't get it snapped up in time.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
I decided against a flexi lead for just this reason. High time it needs to be snapped up, it's loose... and vice versa. I'd rather use a regular 6 foot lead than end up with a mistake on my hands because I couldn't get it snapped up in time.
Yes, but it's easily solved! When in dangerous areas use it as a normal lead - i.e. short and locked.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Yes, but it's easily solved! When in dangerous areas use it as a normal lead - i.e. short and locked.
Jade CAN sometimes act really snotty and I don't like her engaging other dogs without 100% control. I don't walk them near traffic, that isn't the issue.

The issue is other dogs walking up to her without her being up near me where I can have good control of her actions and keep the other dogs from getting too close.

When Nigredo (my puppy) is with us... she gets EXTRA snotty and over protective. I endeavor to muzzle her if I think there will be kids about and to not take her near lots of other dogs.

But sometimes these dogs come out of the woodwork and it's just a good idea for me to ensure she's up near me at all times instead of taking a risk by using a flexi lead.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2013, 12:46 AM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Extending leads are brilliant when used correctly - I use one for Jimmi who is never allowed offlead when out. However I too absolutely cringe when I see people with dogs at full extent when walking down pavements alongside busy roads. It only takes a second for the dog to dash out, and there is no control whatsoever unless the lead is retracted and locked.

That poor dog, he may not be long for this earth and the driver will not be to blame.
Absolutely agree with this. I know these leads are tricky for some to get used to. At least two of my lot won't walk Bella on hers and they are not stupid people. they just cant get that thing about click and hold or click and lock especially not in a Tricky situation (car coming or iffy dog). I have fixed leads for them and also only ever leave fixed lead at boarding as I don't know who will be walking her.

It does take a bit of co ordination to get used to them but I wouldn't even use one at all until my dog is good on fixed lead. Certainly not before you have trained them to stop 'pulling' and not to be walking crazy side to side and all over everywhere. I can't imagine teaching a dog to walk to heel on a stretch out lead that is not locked.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2013, 11:08 AM
We use extending leads as Mollie now panics if she isn't attached to us in some way and I like her to still be able to sniff in the bushes and get into the lake (short lead she couldn't do either). She doesn't pull and would never lunge at anything, Betty is tiny so even if she did lunge or pull I am confident it wouldn't be a problem but she doesn't do either.

Near roads/car parks/pavements etc I just lock them short and they walk just in front of me.

I never understand anyone taking chances with leads or off lead dogs near cars the dog will always come off worse if they collide and doesn't take a moment to put them on a lead or lock a long lead so they can stay safe.

Should add we have a fair bit of crazy side to side walking but that doesn't bother me just part of the fun of a walk LOL
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-12-2013, 02:04 PM
Well, they obviously have no common sense.

It really isn't the lead that's the problem, but the people holding it.

I've used a flexi lead for years with my terrier girl. Never had one single problem. Would not dream of walking her on a long line or anything. They are way more difficult to reel in in emergencies, and Missy being DA that is a disaster waiting to happen. With a flexi it's simple and quick to get her under control.

When she's on full extension my thumb is always constantly hovering over the lock button anyway. It's a habit now.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >