Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2013, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by Imana-Banana View Post
Exactly If people where educated they might think twice before getting a pet (of any kind) but can you imagine what would need to go into place in order to do that

I think the puppy farms have had a lot to do with overpopulation over here in the UK in the last few years, you certainly don't see so many strays any more.. are puppy farms a problem over in the US?
Puppy farms have and always will be a huge problem. Cruel, horrid places used to make money. I watched a documentary on you tube about it a while ago.

Think I'll find it and post it in a moment. They fill the pet stores and shelters with dogs, and fill potential dog owners heads with lies.

These dogs often have poor health and temperaments, but of course they'd never tell you that. They'd just say "Adorable, healthy puppies, AKC registered" and you'd take a look and be hooked.

In the event people could see into the future, I'm sure a LOT less people would adopt/rescue/buy their dog.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2013, 11:21 AM
Even education and research doesn't guarantee a dog will be loved for life. Some people have huge changes in their lives that make rehoming the only real choice they have. We managed when we lost our home to keep one of our dogs it was not possible to keep them both so we had to rehome one. Did we research breeds ? yes we did, did we educate ourselves ? yes we did, did we intend to keep toby for life ? yes we did. Did we know mortgage rates would hit 17% ? no we didn't and I don't think anyone else did either !
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-12-2013, 11:23 AM
@Mjfromga

in UK if your dog goes missing, especially if chipped , there is areasonable chance it will be reunited with its owner

it needs improvement but we have areasonable system involving local authorities , dog wardens , rescues and vets involving chip system

I have reunited countless dogs to owners even those without chips

So as chipping does do some good its at least astep in the right directions making it compulsory

not perfect system but better than nothing

UK gov plans making it compulsory AFAIA
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4