View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2013, 09:24 AM
Very droll Kyes. But SO true! Best thing readers in America can do it what the article asks them to do - get busy sharing in on their Craigs' Lists and take it up with their politicians. No point whatsoever asking Brits to do that.

*as a side note - What I object to (as usual) is the OP's style of posting in a way that seems to say we wouldn't be aware of any of this 'truth' if she didn't bring it to our attention. (Or, as has happened many times) that we are somehow too stupid or blinkered to know what is going on regarding animals.

As for 'in the last few years' well - contrary to what the OP seems to think - we know it is not just in 'the last few years' that it has been a problem.

But again I expect OP didn't actually realise she was posting a link from a US web page when she was urging us all to do as they tell us to do. But (again) this would go on for 20 pages before that was admitted!

There was not a word in the OP about this being so it doesn't go the same way here as it does 'across the pond'. Whatever that's supposed to mean.

It has now been edited to make it look as if they DID know that and a further paragraph added to change the 'message'
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-12-2013, 11:12 AM
In all fairness, wrong link aside , thought post was fine and no problem this time
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2013, 12:32 PM
I just resent the implication that OP is the only one 'aware' of any of this stuff and that it requires her to wake the rest of us up to it and tell us we should be doing something about it.

I agree the EDITED post reads better!

Quite a few of us on here do as much as we can to assist dogs in rescue, and donate generously to animal charities and do spread the word. I'm involved in not just rescue stuff here but on the Skippy Poison Kit bFace stuff where the warnings of poison locations go up. I will spread that about in CYPRUS, I'm not on there telling people to write to their American Congressmen and spread the word on their Craigs Lists. It just smacked to me of the article not being read properly by the person who posted the link to it. Well obviously it wasn't or we wouldn't have been getting told to do something we 'can't do' from here.

*at least it wasn't just mis-information as so many have been. Animal Cruelty is a fact. Overcrowded shelters are a fact. Just why more and more people are abandoning their dogs in what is supposed to be a more 'enlightened' age and with all the stuff now broadcast on TV and everywhere about how to be a responsible dog owner - I'm sure I don't know. It baffles me.
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Are overcrowded shelters and dog abandonments anymore now than couple years ago ?
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2013, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by KYes View Post
Are overcrowded shelters and dog abandonments anymore now than couple years ago ?
RSPCA change of policy hit us hard I am guessing it is nation wide ? We now get many more enquires for dogs to be given up than we did pre RSPCA taking them in too.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2013, 03:26 PM
I' guessing you must be Sioux or Cherokee or suchlike then ?
That last name is Spanish.

Sure, Al Ramirez could have been born in America, but the article and the way it was done makes me suspicious. I don't think an American would post such an article and assume only people in the USA would need to read it. That's absurd, is it not?

I am black, white, and Native American, in that order. A mix of races that has happened over the course of America's development. A "pure" person is extremely hard to find in America.

As for your implications on the Native Americans, I get what you're trying to say. If I'm not an Alaska Native, then I am not of American descent, either. It doesn't work like that here, though. The people who ran the Native Americans off their land (and murdered the ones who wouldn't leave) AGES ago have made sure of that.

Native Americans are extremely rare now, unfortunately. You are considered an immigrant if you were not born here. Your race, etc. matters not. I'm NOT saying Al Ramirez is such, and I'm NOT saying that's right to the people who were originally here... I'm just saying how it truly works.
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-12-2013, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
RSPCA change of policy hit us hard I am guessing it is nation wide ? We now get many more enquires for dogs to be given up than we did pre RSPCA taking them in too.
On this thread though perception is all this stuff has gone up due to the economy . I wordering if their is evidence for this ?

What is this RSPCA policy ?
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-12-2013, 08:33 AM
Hello mjfromga

"You are considered an immigrant if you aren't born here . Race doesn't matter"

In which case Ramirez is an American name, along with Smith , O,Reilly , Wachoski, Meyer, Corleone, Fritz, etc, etc, etc.

as their aren't any 'American descent names', apart from native American. so how can you tell he is not American by looking at his surname? (Not referring to any other evidence )
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2013, 08:47 AM
On this thread though perception is all this stuff has gone up due to the economy . I wordering if their is evidence for this ?

What is this RSPCA policy ?
They stopped taking in dogs that needed to be rehomed and are now only dealing with cruelty cases. Sadly that has left many small rescues bursting at the seams. The economy is also part of the problem as people cannot afford to keep dogs, and vet fees too impact on how many need new homes.

Marriage breakups form a large part of our problems and some of that is due to the economy as people argue about lack of money.
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-12-2013, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
They stopped taking in dogs that needed to be rehomed and are now only dealing with cruelty cases. Sadly that has left many small rescues bursting at the seams. The economy is also part of the problem as people cannot afford to keep dogs, and vet fees too impact on how many need new homes.

Marriage breakups form a large part of our problems and some of that is due to the economy as people argue about lack of money.
I know some RSPCAs that are still taking in andd rehoming though .

And dogs have always come in due to money or marriage break ups though and we always had long waiting lists

what is the evidence this has increased recently ? Knowing economics is areason people give up dogs Ican figure that people would imagine that would increase during a downturn but is their any evidence for this ?
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >