Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2013, 02:21 PM

The Sad Truth

Hi Over the years that I have been part of the dog world,there was alway a dark side,but because of the economy things have got steadily worst.I feel sorry for staff and volunteers,who go into this sort of work and were hoping to do some good,but this just isnt happening,in the last few years dogs who end up in shelters looking for another chance,only 10percent will make it.

We are supposed to be a nation of Animal Lovers,we all have a responsibilty to do something,even if its only a letter to a MP or Europe.Anyway I am enclosing a link and you can make your own minds up.
I know it is the U.S.A,but hearing from people who work here in the UK A similar thing could happen here we cannot be complacent,just because its another country,they probably started with good intentions.
http://topworldpost.com/a-very-impor...ll-pet-owners/

Gemini54
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2013, 02:25 PM
You say 'we' are supposed to be a nation of animal lovers?

Your link is to a page put up by an American from what I can see and is speaking about conditions in America but you post as if it was pertaining to the UK.

What on earth makes you think some of us ARE NOT doing everything we can to help the plight of unwanted animals?

I doubt very much if EU MPs will be interested in what is going on in America.

In fact if you'd properly read yourself what you are telling others to read you would have seen that it quite clearly states:

please re-post this to at least one other Craigslist in another city/state. Let’s see if we can get this all around the US and have an impact.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Gemini,I get where your coming from but feel like your preaching to the converted.WE are animals lovers! WE take care of our dogs,cats,horses etc etc.WE,give what we can,do what WE can.
A lot of dogs on here have been given a second chance,some members have two,three or even more dogs from rescues.Pretty sure you'd be hard pushed to find anyone on here that would mistreat an animal Its not US,that needs to hear it.
It is sad for people working in these places,I agree,but as long as there are people that mistreat animals,this problem will always exist Its not the Animal lovers that are causing it
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 09:13 AM
Hi Eileen,I was in bits,and knowing from people here,how hard it is to say no,when someone brings a dog in,a lot of the shelters here are getting really full,and it is more difficult to rehome,I just think that the people who can,should be made aware of it and stop it progressing to what is happening across the pond,they say a stitch in time saves nine.Gemini54
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
Hi Eileen,I was in bits,and knowing from people here,how hard it is to say no,when someone brings a dog in,a lot of the shelters here are getting really full,and it is more difficult to rehome,I just think that the people who can,should be made aware of it and stop it progressing to what is happening across the pond,they say a stitch in time saves nine.Gemini54
You're absolutely right in what you're saying Gemini,its heartbreaking worse than that its horrific Couldn't bear to look at the photo and it's not because I'd prefer to turn a blind eye.You don't have to go to the U.S to witness cruelty to animals though,unfortunately it's not far from anyone's doorstep,no matter where you live
Megsy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-12-2013, 11:01 AM
I've seen this before and I cried then and I cried again now. I can only support widespread neutering when I see things like this. Such beautiful animals never stand a chance.
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-12-2013, 12:55 PM
Out of interest is there any evidence that unwanted dogs needing places in rescue last few years has gone up? When Iworked in rescue there was always long waiting lists for people wanting give up their. dogs

it might be worse now, but Iknow sometimes these things are just based upon assumptions and perceptions

for example there was never a big thing about people wanting to hand in or abandoning dogs at the gate couple weeks after xmas . as people soon learnt how that looked to others. yet we would get abig surge late spring / early summer when people would think it doesn't come across as the xmas thing. that was often also timed with cute pup entering awkward adolescent stage and/or owners discovering that they cant get boarding for their dogs for summer holiday as they learnt the hard way you can only find boarding space if you book months in advance
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by KYes View Post
Out of interest is there any evidence that unwanted dogs needing places in rescue last few years has gone up? When Iworked in rescue there was always long waiting lists for people wanting give up their. dogs

it might be worse now, but Iknow sometimes these things are just based upon assumptions and perceptions

for example there was never a big thing about people wanting to hand in or abandoning dogs at the gate couple weeks after xmas . as people soon learnt how that looked to others. yet we would get abig surge late spring / early summer when people would think it doesn't come across as the xmas thing. that was often also timed with cute pup entering awkward adolescent stage and/or owners discovering that they cant get boarding for their dogs for summer holiday as they learnt the hard way you can only find boarding space if you book months in advance
Interesting as it's something I have been thinking for years. Worst time we have for dogs coming in is summer holidays when people realise how much boarding will cost and the oldies coming in all year when they are past their prime and costing at the vet making room for the next puppy.

Also only reason we have a reputation for animal loving is because we live with them in our homes unlike many countries where we would be considered odd at best for doing so.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 11:16 PM
I'm going to struggle to be nice regarding a few of the comments I see so I will not comment on them at all.

I'm American. This article was written and posted by a guy named Al Ramirez... who may not even be of American descent judging by his last name.

Add in the fact that that horrid photo was not taken in America and the article doesn't describe situations like that photo, I think it was posted for shock value more than anything else.
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-12-2013, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
I'm going to struggle to be nice regarding a few of the comments I see so I will not comment on them at all.

I'm American. This article was written and posted by a guy named Al Ramirez... who may not even be of American descent judging by his name
I' guessing you must be Sioux or Cherokee or suchlike then ?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >